Submitted by admin on Wed, 12/28/2011 - 2:45pm
- The sixth annual Legacy Run motorcycle trek in August raised more than $600,000 for The American Legion Legacy Scholarship Fund, which provides college aid to the children of military personnel who lost their lives on duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001.
- The American Legion Child Welfare Foundation awarded $506,683 in grant money to organizations that benefit young people facing physical, mental or environmental challenges.
- The Legion's Temporary Financial Assistance program provided more than $1 million in cash grants to help military and veteran families with minor children at home, delivering direct financial assistance to benefit nearly 3,000 young people nationwide.
- More than $520,000 in American Legion national academic scholarships was awarded to 226 students in 2011, including 98 recipients of Samsung Scholarships, 54 National Oratorical Contest competitors, 37 American Legion Baseball players, 30 Junior Shooting Sports participants, 23 Legacy Scholarship qualifiers and many others.
- National youth program participants in 2011 included 1,152 American Legion Baseball Regional Tournament and World Series players, 98 Boys Nation delegates, 54 National Oratorical Contest competitors and 30 shooters in the National Air Rifle Competition.