Submitted by admin on Wed, 12/28/2011 - 2:48pm
- More than $150,000 worth of Operation Comfort Warriors (OCW) items were distributed to hundreds of troops recovering from injuries or illnesses in military hospitals and transition units around the world, including California, Washington, Texas, Minnesota and Landstuhl, Germany.
- The American Legion Family Support Network, which provides volunteer relief for families with minor children and deployed parents, received and managed 2,025 requests for assistance nationwide, an average of 43 per week.
- The American Legion processed approximately $6,000 worth of comfort items and holiday gift cards specifically for patients at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md.
- National American Legion representatives helped 91 servicemembers with the appeals process after disputing disability-rating and discharge decisions by the Military Evaluation Board and the Physical Evaluation Board.
- More than 17,000 American Legion-designed "thank you" coins were provided by American Legion Emblem Sales for distribution to returning military personnel.
- More than 1,700 American Legion-designed Blue Star Family coins were provided by American Legion Emblem Sales for distribution to families with loved ones serving in harm's way.