K9TAL to operate as special event station for Legion Birthday March 15-17

Forums:

The American Legion Amateur Radio Club station, K9TAL will operate as a special event station in March to commemorate the 93rd birthday of The American Legion.  Tentative hours of operation are from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, March 15 – 17.  A special commemorative certificate will be provided to all stations who work K9TAL during that period.

Any members in the area available during that period are welcome to operate the headquarters station for this event.  Contact Joe – KJ9M at kj9m@arrl.net to sign up or get more information.

(For the certificate, please mail a SASE (10x14) after successful QSO to The American Legion, ATTN:  Joe March, PO Box 1055, Indianapolis, IN 46206.)

W8DMZ

December 14, 2011 - 9:26am

Awesome! Hopefully HQ will operate from several bands at different times, or whatever. Will be happy to participate. Let's Roll!!!!

JohnPir

January 26, 2012 - 9:26pm

This is more of a question than a comment. What is or are the frequencies that the Legion operates on? Thank you

WSloan

January 31, 2012 - 4:24pm

With only one net under our belt so far, we will rely on you and the rest of the TALARC members to help us out on band choice and frequencies. We want to find, of course, an easily accessible area of a band not already crowded with nets and contesting. We'll learn more, and be able to ask for suggestions again, after the Feb. 12 10M net (1400 Eastern/1900 UDT).
For the first "I-Band" or IRLP net, we'll use the IRLP Crossroads Reflector subchannel 9205, with grateful thanks to the K9IP/K9DC repeaters and the Reflector keeper, Dave, K9DC. Our first IRLP Net is Saturday, February 11, 2012, at 1400 Eastern, or 1900 UDT on reflector subchannel 9205. Listen for either KC9ANG or NZ9S to act as net control.

As always, suggestions are welcome!

Bill KC9ANG

RENZ

February 26, 2012 - 3:57pm

Just checking in from SNJ. WA2VFK and Post 133 Woodbury, NJ

Oregon Vietnam Era Vet

March 8, 2012 - 3:46pm

check in from KE7JEY and Central Oregon Post 45.

KB0FKT

March 9, 2012 - 6:55pm

Just wondering why only 20m is being used for a special event station. Some time should be spent on 10m also so all HF ops can participate, not just General and Extra.

Thanks
Joe KB0FKT
Post 134

wstaehle

March 10, 2012 - 3:19pm

Congratulations on completion of your 2nd IRLP net! I was pleased to see that there was more content and information than the first instance.

As a suggestion, the net controller for the nets in which I participate calls on each check-in in turn after each round of check-ins to request any comments or questions they may have. That is when they introduce their location, answer questions, and make their comments. Also, the net operator makes a second round of all the normal check-in call signs requesting additional comments or questions. This process of directing the comments and questions by the net control operator seems to result in several advantages:

1. Check-ins are limited to call sign and name so they are short and less doubling occurs.
2. Check-ins are acknowledged and have a chance to comment or ask questions in turn shortly after their check-in.
3. The process tends to generate more discussion among the users.
4. Once users understand that they will be called upon again in the second round, interruptions and doubling for comments are reduced.

Also, the net controller asks first for early or "short" check-ins before regular check-in and the early checkins are excluded from the 2nd round. If you have echolink capability you might want to listen in to the 9amtalknet which occurs Monday through Friday at 9:00AM Pacific time on N6NFI as an example of this technique. Echolink is activated on this repeater only for the 9am talknet.

verno_58

March 13, 2012 - 1:59pm

10 meters please, say on sat 10 am to 12pm east time ?

master artisan

March 13, 2012 - 4:08pm

WHY IS IT THAT ALTHOUGH I TRIED TO CHECK IN ON 14,270 FOR A PERIOD OF 45 MIN AND HEARD MANY STATIONS AROUND THE EAST COAST AND MIDWEST, BUT NO MATTER HOW I TRIED I WAS NEVER ACKNOWLEDGED AND THERE WERE OTHER STATIONS IN THE WEST THE SAME. I am using a TS 2000, Ameritron 811H amp and tri-band beam at 40 ft running 500 watts.

kb0nmq

March 14, 2012 - 5:35pm

I will try to get in on the fun this weekend! I missed the 1st net. Granddaughter turned 4! Anyway, excited to have some Legion friends on the air! 73' Mark kb0nmq, Iowa Post #290

AC8AL

March 16, 2012 - 2:49pm

No copy on K9TAL Special Event Station this afternoon. I see them listed on some spotting sites yet do not hear them at all. Of course, the spot was an hour ago so they could be on break, off the air, or I may be on the ends of their antenna or vice vesa. I will keep listening around 14.270 +/- 5.

Best regards,
Rich "Doc" AC8AL

AC8AL

March 16, 2012 - 2:53pm

I hear a Utah Station, N3CMD, trying to talk with K9TAL yet N3CMD has a weak copy. I do not hear K9TAL at all. So, I know K9TAL is at least on the air. I will keep listening and see if they eventually fade in.

de AC8AL

AC8AL

March 16, 2012 - 2:54pm

de AC8AL

verno_58

March 17, 2012 - 12:30pm

well would like to get qso with k9tal sta. but i am a tech and i dont think they will try 10 meters. fron post 26 minot nd wd0fqr

verno_58

March 17, 2012 - 12:38pm

i heer k9tal ok and some of the outher st but only a tech and they did not say if they will be on 10 meters will be upgrade this sumer
wd0fqr vern post 26 minot nd 11:41 am03/17/12

W8DMZ

April 11, 2012 - 10:18am

Hi Friends ... I was in Honolulu HI during this event, with my wire 20m antenna hung near the end of their main airport runway ... and listened, and listened, and called CQ etc. etc. to (darn) no avail. Guess the "bounce" from Hawaii couldn't be detected back on the mainland. Well, we'll just have to try again next time when hopefully, i'll be within 'shouting' distance from your base.
73!

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <p>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Type the characters you see in this picture.
Type the characters you see in the picture; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.  Switch to audio verification.