Legion Extension Institute available online

Legion Extension Institute available online

The American Legion’s official training program for officers, members, Legion College applicants and those who simply want to expand their knowledge of the nation’s largest veterans service organization is now available online.

The American Legion Extension Institute has been rewritten, updated, streamlined and enhanced with videos, digital photos, clickable links, a historical timeline and additional features. To register and take the course, visit www.legion.org/alei. (Due to high traffic volume, you may experience some delays. If you experience delays, please try again later.) The program should take less than two hours to complete. It is divided into six sections, with a quiz at the end of each one, followed by a final exam.

The sections closely follow the Legion’s Four Pillars of service. They include:

• History & Organization
  • Veterans Affairs & Rehabilitation
  • National Security
  • Americanism
  • Children & Youth

Upon completion, a participant must pass a final online exam to receive a digital certificate of recognition; a lapel/cap pin will also be delivered to those who successfully complete the course. The names of those who have passed will be recorded and indexed at The American Legion National Headquarters. Graduates will have the option to click a box upon completion to recognize their accomplishment on The American Legion national website: www.legion.org.

The online course is $4.95 for members of The American Legion and Sons of The American Legion. The registration fee is $9.95 for non-members. Payment can be accepted securely and conveniently on the course registration page.

The American Legion Extension Institute online training program replaces the series of printed booklets that had been printed and sold through National Headquarters.

More in Membership & Post Activities

how can i treat my vitiligo

November 17, 2013 - 6:16am

Vetern

May 2, 2013 - 1:24am

Graduates will have the option to click a box upon completion to recognize their accomplishment. genericviagraonlineinfo

sl786982

October 23, 2012 - 4:11pm

Outstanding piece of work you have done. This type of posts is rarely found. This site has proved its metals in the way of giving extra ordinary information. <a href="https://plus.google.com/107742302062248565036">property management Los Angeles</a>

David A. Johnson

May 9, 2012 - 5:25pm

I'm a state adjutant that desires to complete the course.

Wilburn Crane

April 26, 2012 - 9:28am

I just finished the on line course for the institute. At first I thought it was the same as the four lesson course I read over the weekend. However the information was not near as in depth as the course booklets. The final exam was only 35 questions compared to the booklet which had 3 times that many on the final exam. Apparently they are intended to accomplish the same goals. If that is truly the case then I would recommend that members take the paper course. It takes longer but it is much more informative. I personally had no idea just how much the American Legion had accomplished over the decades. The visions and perception of the founders and leadership of the Legion over the years is to me just absolutely mind boggling. I would think that taking the on line course alone is short changing ones self instead of having the knowledge that is available in the paper version. What the heck do both of them!!

tammysub65

April 16, 2012 - 8:22am

Great Course!!!! Very informative and I learned alot more through this course than I have while performing my duties as Post Adjutant. I would like to thank those who put this together, as I am a full time employee at my job and have been unable to attend Legion College due to my hours and finances.

mstyron

April 15, 2012 - 12:44am

A great thing they have done. I am still waiting for a non internet version for the personnel who have internet issues. Like our Active Military. If you haven't done this you will learn so much.

search4u2

April 14, 2012 - 9:01am

Other than some log-in problems with the Legion.org site I was able to reach the Institute course fairly easy. Took the course on-line and passed the final test. I received my completion certificate and hat pin about 7 days later by reg mail. No problems with on-line method of instruction. R. Cox Post 105 Patrick Co., VA

cjpanic

April 13, 2012 - 3:10pm

Cannot sign up for course

pph63

April 13, 2012 - 10:10am

I just took the online course and passed 4/13/2012 I would recomend the course to all post officers it is real informative and i learned alot and will pass it on to my post and use alot of the info to get more involed in our comunity. we do alot in the community already. and to help more vets and soldiers. Post Commander American Legion Post#140 Middleville, Mi

Wblue7

April 13, 2012 - 8:50am

I am a 70% disabled veteran, and currently in my Senior Year in college here in NC. My goal is to become a Veterans Service Representative or Field Service Officer. I want to help my fellow veterans as much as possible. Can anyone give me some advice on how to get started? I would greatly appreciate it.

proudgoldstarsister

April 12, 2012 - 10:16pm

I took this course and passed, recieved my Certificate June 22, 2011. I have not recieved a Lapel Pin nor a cap Pin. I have been trying since I recieved my certifcate to to be mad aware of meeting for Field Service Officers, I was told that I cannot work as a Field Service Officer because I am not a Veteran, yet I studied and passed the course. I can understand that I believe, but I got no help what so ever in studying and taking the course. I lost my brother in Vietnam in 1970 and feel I have the heart of the Veterans care in me. All, I am saying is , "If there is a Field Service Officer that could use an Assistant I am available." And I would like to be recognized for passing this course also.

rsbeckwell

April 12, 2012 - 5:08pm

For those of us who have already taken the course (2008 for myself) will our names be "recorded and indexed at The American Legion National Headquarters" as well?

indycar

April 13, 2012 - 10:55am

RS ------ When members complete and pass the American Legion Extension Institute either the four book paper version or the new on line, rewritten version, we record just “passed” on the Legion Membership Data Base and an ALEI pin logo is posted on your legion.org profile page. We do not record your score, only the word “passed” along with the month/year.

weeble49

April 12, 2012 - 12:11pm

I just finished the exam and passed. I learned quite a bit more about the American Legion from this course. Very informative.

Jim Dodd

April 12, 2012 - 10:47am

A few months ago I purchased the paper version of this course. I have just spent a considerable amount of time working through the four volumes of the paper booklets. I have written out all of the practice questions in each section and I am in the process of completing the final exam before I would have mailed it in. Is this work and cost now lost or may I still mail in the paper exam? Jim Dodd Finance Officer Post 62 Smith Mountain Lake, VA jaymesdodd@gmail.com

admin

April 12, 2012 - 2:06pm

Jim, I have forwarded your question to Internal Affairs here at headquarters. You should hear back today or tomorrow. - Jason Bugler - jbugler_at_legion_dot_org

cldorman04

April 12, 2012 - 5:22am

I think the link is broken, as the Online Training site doesn't actually come up.

williamsheets

April 11, 2012 - 11:04pm

I would like to see an area or even a pdf document that could be downloaded with a course description of the various courses, a glimpse of what the courses will instruct to a student etc. This would be very helpful in deciding which course(s) to take. Right now, when you go to the area of the site, you right off the bat, are supposed to pay for a course you have no idea of what to expect from what I am seeing, can you help on this ???? William Sheets Adjutant Post 71 Cabot,Arkansas

Bob95490

May 7, 2013 - 7:38pm

@ Adjutant Sheets: I purchased the "paper book(s)" course and began it when my eyesight failed. Since then the VA has restored my sight through the replacement of my lenses with implants. I checked and the online course seems to be an updated version of the original (book format) course. Our California Area 1 Department Vice Commander has taken both courses and highly recommends taking the online version. The course addresses American Legion history & organization, the Service Divisions & Sections, the Four Pillars of the American Legion, Americanism, Children, Youth, and Public Relations, and Legislative, Veterans Affairs & Rehabilitation (VA&R), Economic, National Security, and Foreign Relations Programs legion members and potential officers will be expected to deal with as a member of the American Legion. As an Adjutant you will find much of this addressed in the Officers Handbook, but the course does so in a much more detailed manner. I hope my response was helpful. Robert Ireland (PUFL)

nexusix

April 11, 2012 - 1:42pm

I can't seem to get to teh courses. I'm logged in and that is all good but it never takes me to the actual course page, please help.

rmiles

October 2, 2012 - 3:26pm

Go to Media at top of page and them click extension course

Roy

April 13, 2012 - 9:42am

I am having the same problem. roy.dixon@sbcglobal.net