Prescription copayment increase delayed

Prescription copayment increase delayed
DoD photo

A scheduled $1 increase in veterans' medical copayments will be delayed until June 30, VA has announced. Out-of-pocket payments were formerly set to raise to $9 for pharmaceuticals treating ailments not connected to military service, per 30-day supplies of medicine.

During this period, VA will also keep $960 as the maximum for annual out-of-pocket payments for pharmaceuticals for non-service-related conditions. The $960 cap will not apply to veterans in Priority Groups 7 and 8. The yearly maximum out-of-pocket payment was scheduled to increase to $1,080.

There are no copayments associated with the treatment of conditions related to military service.

More in Veterans Benefits Center

Haiki

May 19, 2010 - 1:03pm

Considering the VA copay increase by $1 to $9, which they want to do, based on Medical Consumer Price Index calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, I hope they base it on the Consumer Price Index used by Wal Mart, Kmart, and others. VA 90 day prescription (3 month) supply of 90 whole pills, copay $24. Kmart or WalMart 3 month whole pill supply, $10. Splitting turns 90 whole pill supply into 6 month $10 supply. VA 90 day (3 month) supply of 45 pills that require splitting copay $24. Six (6) month supply $48. “We need time to determine whether an increase might pose a significant financial hardship for certain veterans and, if so, what alternative approach would be appropriate relief for these veterans,” DALLAS, Jan. 13, 2009 — Fewer veterans filled their prescriptions for cholesterol-lowering drugs after an increase in co-payment costs for prescription drugs, researchers report in Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association.

hworx

January 17, 2010 - 7:35pm

A 90 day supply of Metformin is $10.00 at Walmart and many other places, the VA charges $8.00 for a 30 day supply. 90 days of generic synthroid is $10.00 at Walmart and other places. This is true of many generic prescriptions. Veterans are being cheated under this policy. Somehting needs to be done about this. A concerned Veteran.

Haiki

December 24, 2011 - 11:59am

This very issue is now before the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.

piafredux

January 16, 2010 - 9:34pm

No vet should have to pay a VA prescription co-payment. But since co-payments have been imposed upon some - some, but not all - vets, at least the income threshold for co-payments ought to be raised to a reasonable level, say $25,000. What really needs to be done is for the American Legion to campaign to do away with the VA's discriminatory division of vets into various "Groups." There ought to be one group - and that group is ALL VETS. And the watchword must be: You Served, You Deserve.

mrcruthirds

January 15, 2010 - 11:03am

I have applied for medical benefits and have been denied these services due to the fact that I make to much money.I am on fixed income. I am a Viet Nam era veteran and served in the Air Force for 4 years. I have never had to use the medical benefits before but now I have had Heart attacks and was dianosised with IPF and Lung Cancer and could use help but this country can help everyone else in the world but can't help the people that helped in time of need.

lvincent45

January 14, 2010 - 7:03pm

I have been in the system for a few months and I have no objections to paying $9/prescription. I have no incurance and the co-pays for primary care, specialists and prescriptions are sure cheapter than paying out-of -pocket for private doctors and full price for prescriptions. However, a friend of mine that works for a Senator is telling me that Congress gets FREE health care just like active duty military personnel.

Dalton

January 14, 2010 - 3:46pm

Sure! Up the cost of every Medical co-pay, while CONGRESS votes theirselves raises! The Veteran are getting the short end for along time by using the "Means" test. A Veteran is a Veteran. When we signed up (I did over 40 yrs ago), the Gov. had me sign a CONTRACT that If I observed my obligation, MEDICAL was going to be "Taken Care Of". It sure is. I'm lucky, I'm in the system, but even those that have more money than I, can't get in. THEY had a contract too!!