New Member & Suggestion

Forums:

Hello. I'm one of the newest members of TALARC and wanted to first say hello to the group. I'm looking foward to any involvement I can provide to club activities. I am also an ALR member and noticed the earlier discussion about a possible TALARC patch in the works. I'd like to add one to my ALR vest as well.

I thumbed through the earlier messages and I don't believe I found anything on this subject, so pardon me if this has already been discussed. I was thinking that it might be nice to coordinate an annual event, say for example the American Legion Birthday event that took place this past March 15 through 17, and expand that to activating American Legion posts nation- or even world-wide. Hams could set up a station at their local posts and operate as long as they are able to do so (even if for only a few hours or all weekend). It could be promoted/encouraged for all hams to contact these posts on this partictular weekend.

I have seen similar ham radio events such as lighthouse activations or military ship activation weekends. I wasn't necessairly thinking of making it a contest, but rather a fun gathering of as many American Legion posts on the air one weekend a year. I'm certain that the other members of the local posts would find this type of activity to be very interesting, and might even drum up some additional business for these posts on this partictular weekend... which usually equates to a favorable approval from the post command of ham radio activity on that weekend.

Additional ideas would be to offer to send valid contacts on that weekend a 'certificate' if they would be willing to send in a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope). This, of course, would require some additional work, but it would be nice to receive some type of recognition if, say, a partictular ham were to make contacts with 10, or 25, etc.. or so different posts. Or possibly some type of recognition of the use of different modes (CW, SSB, data, etc.) and/or bands.

I suppose this TALARC-wide event could be designed in a variety of ways, which is why I thought i'd bring it up for discussion. I noticed a message in these forums that was posted very early on by K0HB who wondered what other types of events beyond the national club station would be planned, and I thought this idea could fit the bill nicely.

What do you think?

73,
Marty Grove - KJ4LQX

msr

October 22, 2012 - 8:41am

Marty - I think this idea has merit. I especially like the idea of having a Saturday in mid-March and activating the posts. It could be interesting for some of the post members.

msr

October 22, 2012 - 8:42am

(btw - KD4OKR)

WSloan

October 29, 2012 - 10:52am

Marty, since we are already planning to repeat the Legion Birthday operating schedule in March over three days, we think the idea of promoting a Legion post field day and operating as many stations as possible from American Legion posts is a great way to promote the Legion and TALARC itself. And yes, we do plan to mail special event certificates in return for SASE, as we did in 2012 as well!
Bill, NZ9S, TALARC Secretary

Marty_

December 6, 2012 - 1:29pm

Glad to hear a couple of positive responses to the suggestion of activating local posts. I've bounced the idea off of a few folks at our local club and they seemed to be very interested in observing, and possibly getting involved with amateur radio during a planned event.

73,
Marty Grove - KJ4LQX

dupuy

March 1, 2013 - 5:50pm

Marty,
I'm a new member and tried to take the new member survey on-line witout
success. I was able to get info. on the Legion but was not able to you new member info.

John Dupuy

Kenneth Martinez

January 28, 2014 - 9:14pm

Marty,
I'm also a new member and like John Dupuy couldn't find the new member survey on line. I'll submit the paper copy instead. Thanks,
Ken MArtinez

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <p>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Type the characters you see in this picture.
Type the characters you see in the picture; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.  Switch to audio verification.