Shop Online at Emblem Sales
Google +LinkedInPinterestYouTubeInstagramTwitterFacebook

National Personnel Records Center: Medals, Corrections, Rumors, Fees

The purpose of sending this bulletin is to simplify some of our veterans’ requests for medals and administrative corrections and to shed light on a couple issues that have been raised recently by our veterans service officers.

According to their website the NPRC is one of the National Archives and Records Administration's (NARA) largest operations. It houses 70 million records, responds to roughly 160,000 inquiries a month and can process several kinds of requests. The most common are requests for DD Form 214, Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) and Service Treatment Record (STR).

The NPRC is also authorized to assist with medal requests and clerical corrections to DD Form 214. A locate, clarify and validate approach elaborated on below works well for these requests.

Locate: There are two primary ways to request individual military service information NARA’s electronic request system eVetRecs and Standard Form (SF) 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records: SF-180. Veterans and next-of-kin of decreased veterans can use eVetRecs or SF-180 to locate their records. Everyone else must use SF-180.

Clarify: Since the NPRC can process multiple requests clarifying the individual request is a must. This can be done by indicating the specific request in step 3: Comments of eVetRecs or by attaching a written statement to SF-180.

Validate: All requests have to be validated either by the records the NPRC has or by supporting documentation provided to them.

Requests for the issuance or replacement of military service medals, decorations, and awards should be directed to the branch of the service in which the veteran served. The chart below shows where the request should be sent and where to write if there is a problem or if an appeal is necessary for each of the services. The Army and Air Force can use eVetRecs or SF-180. The Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard must use SF-180. The specific medals, decorations or awards being requested needs to be clarified in Step 3: Comments of eVetRecs or in a written statement attached to SF-180. Available supporting documentation that validates the request should be sent with the signature verification page or SF-180.

Medal Request: Problem or Appeal:
National Personnel Records Center
Medals Section (NRPMA-M)
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Army Commander PERSCOM
200 Stovall Street
Alexandria, VA 22332-0471
National Personnel Records Center
Air Force Reference Branch (NRPMF)
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Air Force Headquarters Air Force Personnel
550 C Street West, Suite 12
Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4714
Bureau of Naval Personnel
Liaison Office Room 5409
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Navy Chief of Naval Operations
(OPNAV 09B33)
Awards & Special Projects
Washington, DC 20350-2000
Bureau of Naval Personnel
Liaison Office Room 5409
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Marine Corps Commandant of the Marine Corps
Military Awards Branch (MMMA)
3280 Russell Road
Quantico VA 22134-5100
Bureau of Naval Personnel
Liaison Office Room 5409
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
Coast Guard Commandant U.S. Coast Guard
Medals and Awards Branch
Washington, DC 20593-0001

The NPRC can make clerical corrections of errors on the DD Form 214 such as misspelled name, missing information, incorrect birth date, social security number, etc. Again, the specific correction request should be detailed in Step 3: Comments of eVetRecs or in a written statement attached to SF-180. Supporting documentation validating the request should be sent with the signature verification page or SF-180.

Contrary to recent rumors DD Form 214s, Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) and Service Treatment Records (STR) are not available for viewing online. Aside from the enormous cost that would be involved, Federal Law [5 USC 552a(b)] requires that all requests for records and information be submitted in writing, signed and dated.

The NPRC is authorized to charge fees for many of their services. For now, none of them apply to former service members or next of kin of deceased veterans requesting records relating to benefits or correction of their military record. Therefore, it is important to clarify that the reason for the request in the in Step 3: Comments of eVetRecs, clearly on SF-180 or in a written statement. Non-benefit and archival requests for records of veterans that were discharged, retired or died in service 62 or more years ago probably will be subject to a service fee. In those instances, the NPRC provides a breakdown of the cost to the individual or organization making the request.

Please contact Ray Spencer, Supervisor, Military Review Boards, VA&R, at or 202-861-2700 if you have questions or need more information.


ryan taylor

June 14, 2013 - 8:43pm


Roy Gulak

September 5, 2013 - 1:15pm

I would like receive the medals awarded to me that are on my DD-214. They are NDSM and AFGCM.

Henry England

November 15, 2013 - 6:47pm

I want to get my ribbons updated on my NA FORM 13059 I received the Korean Defense service Medal and it has not show up on the records

Jorge L Carmona Sr

December 2, 2013 - 1:07am

Hi, I got out of the regular service 9/29/80 and I lost my DD214 in a flood in my house , how can I get information to getter back plus my ribbons updated.

John W. Forman

December 6, 2013 - 3:56pm

I need to know what form I would need to fill out to receive a copy of my qualifying Grandfather's DD-214's so that I may join as a member of my local VFW's Men's Auxilary. Thank you.

John Roach

May 12, 2014 - 1:38pm

I left Vietnam in December 1968.
I learned that certain medals were awarded to Vietnam vets after that date.
How can I find out what medals were awarded to me.

Nancy Reynolds

May 25, 2014 - 3:12pm

My father (deceased) served in WW II. I have his serial number and a copy of his Honorable Discharge.
1. How do I fine if he was a member of the American Legion?
2. His discharge papers do not show his Purple Heart (cluster?). How can I find information on this?

David Hadly

August 11, 2014 - 8:19pm

I am an Army Vietnam era vet trying to receive my medals both personal and theater. How EXACTLY do I proceed? I have had problems. Please help me so I can have them for my kids when I die. My last mpr status e-note was very unclear. Thanks, Dave Hadly

Tracey Schmadel

August 21, 2014 - 8:39am

I trying to locate my grandfathers DD-214 form. Is this where I request the form?

randall lillich

August 28, 2014 - 5:22pm

How do I obtain a copy of my DD 214?

Thomas Pearey

October 9, 2014 - 1:37pm

How can I get a copy of my DD-214

virginia martell

October 21, 2014 - 6:33pm

I am trying to find the Military Honors that were awarded to great great grandfather Samuel J Neff who served in the Civil War in the Battle of Pettersburg. He served in the 205th Regimen, 2nd Brigade,3rd Division of PA Volunteers. Anything that I can get would be very much appreciated!!
Thank you

jon lynn mcdermott

December 8, 2014 - 2:26pm

I need to know how to get my fathers dd-214 number so I can join American Legion please

jon lynn mcdermott

December 8, 2014 - 2:29pm

I need my deceased fathers DD-214number so I can join the American Legion, . . .can you help with info how?

Tina Fowler

February 5, 2015 - 12:10am

Im looking for Army Michael Davidson that was at Ft Ord Ca in 707th Maint. Bn. in 1984-85 working in the motorpool office. He is the father to my daughter and she wants to find him.

willie Earl Foley

February 23, 2015 - 1:30pm

I would like toget my service medals and ribbon on my dd214s


March 14, 2015 - 10:33am


Deborah Lindquist

March 25, 2015 - 9:09pm

I need my deceased fathers DD 214 number to join American Legion.

Add new comment

Filtered HTML

  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <p>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Refresh Type the characters you see in this picture. Type the characters you see in the picture; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.  Switch to audio verification.

Tell us what you think