VA releases shutdown field guide to services

VA releases shutdown field guide to services

The Department of Veterans Affairs has released a field guide to let veterans know what services will and won’t be impacted during current federal government shutdown.

The guide, which can be viewed here, also includes a list of still-active contact phone numbers for VA services, as well as a listing of suspended phone lines. VA call centers and hotlines will cease to function during the shutdown.

All VA medical facilities will remain fully operational, as will military sexual trauma counseling, VET Centers, insurance processing and home loan processing.

Claims processing and payments in the compensation, pension, education and vocational rehabilitation programs are anticipated to continue through late October. However, in the event of a prolonged shutdown, claims processing and payments in these programs would be suspended when available funding is exhausted.

Some programs immediately impacted by the shutdown:

• VBA will not be able to continue overtime for claims processors

• VBA Regional Offices public contact services will not be available

• No decisions on claims appeals or motions will be issued by the Board of Veterans Appeals

• Freedom of Information Act queries will not be processed

• Privacy Act requests will not be processed

• VA’s website will be updated intermittently

• Recruiting and hiring of veteran job applicants will cease with the exception of the Veterans Health Administration

• Interments at national cemeteries will be conducted on a reduced schedule

• VA secretary correspondence with veterans and veterans service organizations suspended

More in Veterans Benefits Center

Clifford52

October 11, 2013 - 11:19am

I think all of the name calling in the world will not solve anything; all it will do is separate brothers from each other. All vets need to work together both physically and politically for the betterment of all Veterans. Also anyone who thinks that the “Affordable Health Care Act” is so great should actually read the bill in full, and not just what someone has written as a synopsis. It does not matter whether you are Democrat or Republican, Look at the facts of what President Obama actually done, not what this or that group says, and I think that you will find there are grounds for impeachment according to the constitution.

Heywood

October 11, 2013 - 7:30am

What we learn from history is that we don't learn from history. As a society we have elected ultra liberals who mis-manage government. It's pretty obvious that we can't live within our means, and sooner or later, what is happening now must happen sooner or later. The real twist on it is that we spend our time trying to figure out who the bad guys, and who the good guys are in government. So now we have the blame game. Both houses of congress need to be fired after Obama is impeached. Face it, we've been living in a fools paradise. I don't see quick or easy solutions to the mess we're in so I think we will be treated to phony solutions while we: Continue to find ways to work around the constitution. Increase the National debt so China continues to buy out the 'greatest democracy on earth'. Shrug off the responsibility government owes to its veterans. Pass off function and responsibility of government to private companies whose only interest is how much they can milk from the public. As for me, I can't expect many more years to a long life, so I wish you guys the best. The only thing I'd like to see before I cash in my chips would be a real house cleaning of government.

Lawrence Strouse, Ret Army Sgt

October 10, 2013 - 9:33pm

I am now 67, divorced, all alone except my cat. I manbage my life on $531 SS and $508 VA pension: $1039 monthly. I received food stamps to eat. I had life threatening liver cancer, transplanted last year. I broke my back and my spleen removed after a car accident. Without the Stratton VA Medical Center and monthly income which I worked and served for, I will be out in the street. If you cut tese essential program to which we are entitled, the American people will hate both side of the government. What they are doing and plan to do should put them in prison.

darrell faust

October 10, 2013 - 1:33pm

yes va medical facalities are funded through October 2014

darrell faust

October 10, 2013 - 1:29pm

yes VA Medical Facalities Are Funded Through October 2014.

Bob Staicer

October 9, 2013 - 10:28pm

Dear Dave McShitforbrains, I'm truly sorry about your disabilities and that you're having a time of getting your compensation. But I have a question.... If and when your Decorated Vietnm ERA Combat Vet ass gets the VA compensation you seek, will you then become part of the "PARTY OF DEPENDENCY CLASS" that you seem so anxious to publicly disdain? Will you then be the same drain on the economy that we REAL disabled combat vets are? Do you really think we are not REAL AMERICANS? Do you really think that we didn't pay taxes? Do you really think the Democratic Party would want you, job or not? You are too stupid to be a Democrat! I honestly do hope you get your compensation. Maybe then, you could use the money to get an education. But, then again, as the saying goes, YOU CAN'T CURE STUPID!!!

D Cussins,RetUSN

October 9, 2013 - 3:30pm

It seems that our Politicians have us doing as they are doing by calling one another racists or whatever! Some may be but for the most part most of us are in fear of what is happening to our Country! It no longer matters what Party they are both taking us over the cliff! I have left both parties and have no intention of ever rejoining them! Tea Partyer's and Libertarians seem to have some points that are more towards the leanings of our Countries Founders. What we need are a few more additions to our Constitution to restrict the power of our present Government and to spell out what the definition of a Voting Citizen is and what type of proof is necessary to vote! The rest would take care of itself! As to the Government shutdown the VA is funded through 2014 and except for a few contract employees we need not worry! I'm willing to bet we will receive our checks. Does anyone remember what happen to the few elected officials when they tried to cut Med-I-Care? The Senior Citizens chased the Officials down at home in protest and that is what will most likely happen when no payments are made to Social Security or Veteran's.

Hayden

October 9, 2013 - 11:13am

My father,D-day VET,100% disabled is probably rolling in his grave. What a sad state this country is in when we can't even get to a memorial. The Obama admin is just perplexed and inexperienced to negotiate with their opposition.He surrounds himself with the same(Reid and Pelosi-REALLY? I can't believe there is any supporters of this admin on this website-Concerned Nam VET.

Jeffrey the vet

October 9, 2013 - 11:20am

Hayden, I'm also a 100% disabled vet. Read my earlier post and tell me what you think

Jeffrey the vet

October 9, 2013 - 10:55am

Will all of you pull your collective heads from where are currently hiding and bring them into the sun light? Our current financial crisis has not been caused by either party or President Obama or X-President Bush. Rather, it is the result of years of political games played by both sides of the isle. We are only too happy to "look the other way" when one of “our” politicians manages to get something “special” for our group. Then of course, it’s ok for us to rant, rave, blackmail and then recall our elected officials if he/she dares to stand up for what might not be good for our special interest group but is what our country, The UNITED States of America needs. The men and women who have served our country at great personal sacrifice did not do so to make sure their “special interests” where made law. Rather they fought to make sure that the principles of our great nation would be preserved for our children and grandchildren for generations to come. Right now WE THE PEOPLE, need to stand UNITED and force our elected officials to work together and fix the complex issues facing our nation. However, this must be accomplished in accordance with the Constitution of The United States. The famous quote that we either “stand united or fall divided” is more real today than at any other time in our history. The current “debate” over the Affordable Health Care Act “Obama Care” should not be and cannot be, whether or not it’s right for our country at this time. Rather, in my humble opinion, it’s about enforcing the Constitution of The United States. Whether or not you support this it is the law and was duly made law by being passed by the House and the Senate and then signed into law by the President of The United States, as the constitution mandates. If it needs to be changed it MUST changed in accordance with the Constitution and not by one group of politicians being allowed to blackmail our Country by holding our economy hostage. If we allow this travesty of justice happen then, in my opinion, our fallen veterans have made their ultimate sacrifice in vain.

Deb the Vet

October 9, 2013 - 7:23pm

Thank you Jeffrey the Vet, this is the first time I have read a comment that made sense, and a good point. 'WELL SAID'!

SFC Zimmerman

October 9, 2013 - 4:29pm

I agree somewhat to your statement Sir, It has taken years to come to this type of Action by our government to take place. However when the TEA Party members of the Republican party refuse to support their elected official Speaker of the House it is rather obvious who is to blame for the shutdown of our government. Now I agree we as a people actually have the power so we must use it by contacting our elected officials and demand that they come to the table and hash out the differences and forget the HealthCare which is Official and written into our laws now. They know how to change this law legally and must do so as it requires. I am 90% disabled and am so due to my service to this nation. I am unable to work for my livelihood and depend on my government check from VA which I am properly not going to get during this shut down which if you check the representatives do receive theirs without doing their actual job of supporting us as they were elected to do. Laws need to be changed and the terms in office should be only 1 year for both houses this could change the injustices we are now enduring as well as the changes you have mentioned. I pray that the words I have written invoke some action by others to help place into action our response to this form and type of now responsive government system........

sgt rick

October 9, 2013 - 9:49am

as a disabled veteran from the vietnam war(it only took me 42 yrs and 4 months to get paid for agenmt orange) and i am at 160% disability even though i only get paid at 100%. so as it goes i stand to lose this and who knows abouut social security. this is one of the most dysfunctional eras of a president and congress and the house. this is a yearly problem with them trying to shut down the government. they promise get elected and do nothing. how many of you have received any benefit from an elected official. It is very sad that a nation like ours has to go thru this. i wonder what the rest of the world thinks of us.

DAVE MCDUFFIE

October 9, 2013 - 8:30am

I AM A Vietnam ERA DECORATED COMBAT VETERAN WHO HAS SUFFERED FROM "UNACKNOWLEDGED/DENIED" PTSD(which obviously only Gulf War vets have suffered from!!!)for 46 years(!!!!!) 5 wives later and too many jobs to count, heart disease and operable skin cancer from AGENT ORANGE, which was just another GOVERNMENT SCOURGE ON OUR MILITARY PERSONNEL(!!!). I have been awaiting compensation for NOW 4 YEARS AND SEVEN MONTHS !!! GEE....WHAT A COUNTRY !!!!

Jeffrey the vet

October 9, 2013 - 11:59am

Im really sorry to learn about you service connected disability rating problems with the VA. In my case I only waited 21 years to get my issues resolved (thankfully, I did not have 5 wives in the process). Check out the following link to see about compensation in excess of the 100% rate. The site does not allow us to post a link so here is a hint: w hadit c forums topic 42928 a-well-founded-argument-for-addition-of-ratings-in-excess-of-100/ I hope this helps and thank you for your service. Jeff

Jeffrey the vet

October 9, 2013 - 12:03pm

this hint is even better. w hadit.c /forums/topic 42928 a-well-founded-argument-for-addition-of-ratings-in-excess-of-100/

Ali001

October 8, 2013 - 8:46pm

The truth is that Obama does not care about the American people. He wants his own personal victory and will step on anyone who stands in his way. Millions have been spent on advertising Obamacare and he will not listen that we can barely pay the nation's debt. Consider for a second what could have happened if the money was spent putting Americans back to work. This is Americans had a better chance at full time jobs with benefits. Obamacare is just another nail in a coffin of Americans losing earned benefits. Adequate Jobs would do more for the national debt, healthcare and families than Obamacare.

sargarnn

October 9, 2013 - 11:49am

Republicans could care less about putting Americans back to work. Their main concern is to try and destroy this President just because they don't like him. Then we have the TEA PARTY who's only agenda is to destroy the economy of the UNITED STATES. The ACA is law. If they want to repeal it then they should go thru the right channels. OOOOPPPPs, they have tried 47 times and have failed 47 times.

DAVE MCDUFFIE

October 9, 2013 - 8:45am

AS SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN PAYING CLOSE ATTENTION....PLEASE NAME ONE(1 FOR YOU LIBTURDS)THING OBAMBO HAS DONE THAT IS POSITIVE FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. OBAMACARE IS SOCIALIZED, "SCREW YOU AMERICANS" MEDICINE. OBAMA IS PRO MILLIONS OF ILLEGALS SUDDENLY ON THE AMERICAN WELFARE SYSTEM, WHICH MEANS THERE WILL BE ZERO LEFT FOR ANY REAL AMERICANS WHO NEED A SAFETY NET, BECAUSE THE NET WILL BE FULL OF HOLES !! THE MAN IS NOT AMERICAN AND I CHALLENGE YOU TO PROVE HE IS ! NOT BORN HERE, NO AMERICAN PARENTS....GEE, HOW STUPID ARE YOU ? MR OBAMA, HOW BOUT PULLIN YOUR GREEN FIST OUTTA YO AZZ ?! WE NEED JOBS AND GET RI OF YOUR EPA GESTAPO NOW !!!

Jeffrey the vet

October 9, 2013 - 11:48am

To set your mind at ease I an not a beliver of everything President Obama stands for. However, these may qualify as things hes done right: 1. For even considering that a Black man could dare run for the presidency 2. For actually daring to be elected two times to the office of the President. 3. For daring to read and understand the oath we swore when we enlisted in the armed forces is "I swear to solemnly swear to up hold the constitution of the United States of America from all threats ......" and not "I swear to solemnly swear to up hold the constitution of the United States of America, unless I think the constitution is wrong, from all threats ......" 4. Having the courage to stand up and demand that the law of the land is only changed in accordance with our constitution.

SFC Zimmerman

October 9, 2013 - 4:45pm

The oath we swore when we enlisted in the armed forces is I(State your full Name) do solemnly swear to support and uphold the Constitution of the United States of America from all threats both foreign and domestic and to obey all orders of those appointed above me. etc. etc. etc.

Sargarnn

October 9, 2013 - 11:15am

The question is "can you prove he is not an American". Your type of people love to HATE. Get Over It he is the POTUS.

Pat Glenn

October 8, 2013 - 7:06pm

Why is the Speaker afraid to let Congress vote? That would get things moving.

DAVE MCDUFFIE

October 9, 2013 - 8:39am

HEY STUPID...THEY ALREADY HAVE VOTED !!! ITS THE DEMORATS IN THE SENATE THAT HAS US IN A WAD...A TIGHT WAD TOO THAS GONNA TAKE SOME TIME TO UNWIND SIMPLY BECAUSE THE "PARTY OF THE DEPENDENCY CLASS" CONTINUES TO SCREW REAL AMERICANS....THOSE WHO WORK AND PAY TAXES. MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL QUIT OUR JOBS AND BECOME DEMORATS!! GEE, HOW LONG BEFORE WE IMPLODE ?

sargarnn

October 9, 2013 - 11:59am

Dave,Dave,Dave Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not make them stupid. Remember the immortal words of Forrest Gump " Stupid is as stupid does". So as soon as the stupid Republicans get off their ass's and put a clean CR up for a vote, without the stupid side- amendment to defund the ACA, the sooner the Government will be back to work.

Mike Shipley

October 8, 2013 - 7:06pm

I have a Doc Oppt. tomarrow, As for the fellow who thinks, Obama is a great prez. well he black,, most blacks think he's great,, so consider the sorce.. The rest of us know what a "shuck and Jive turkey" this disgrace is,,, as our president,,, fire the bastard I say now..

Don Miller

October 9, 2013 - 8:40am

YOU ARE A DUMB RACEST REP.

DAVE MCDUFFIE

October 9, 2013 - 8:32am

CRUDE.....BUT TRUE !!

gale landeen

October 8, 2013 - 9:40pm

this kind of comment shows what a racist party the republicans are they are disgrace to America. The president didn't cause this mess they did .Obama care works well those ts not covered by the VA.LL

STAFF SERGEANT SANDRA K. FOLEY

October 15, 2013 - 10:28pm

IT SEEMS TO ME THAT MOST OF THE COMMENTS ARE RACIST, AND RATHER STUPID! I BEING A FEMALE VETERAN, AND HAVE ALSO RETIRED FROM THE US ARMY. I SERVED THIS COUNTRY FOR 20 YEARS, AND I'M VERY PROUD OF THIS FACT! I HAPPEN TO BE A REAGAN REPUBLICAN, ALSO A MEMBER OF THE TEA PARTY. OBAMA ISN'T EVEN A CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY, IN FACT HE IS FROM AFRICA. HE THEN WENT TO LIVE WITH HIS GRANDMOTHER WHO LIVED IN HAWAII. WHEN HE WENT TO LIVE IN HAWAII, HE WAS 9 YEARS OLD. MR. OBAMA NEEDS TO IMPEACH, AND SO MOST OF THE CONGRESS. ALL OF THEM NEED TO REMEMBER THAT WE THE PEOPLE ARE ONES WHO RUNS AND OWNS THIS GOVERNMENT. THEY NEED TO REMEMBER THAT THIS COUNTRY IS RUN BY THE PEOPLE, OF THE PEOPLE, AND FOR THE PEOPLE. AND WE WHO SERVED IN ALL BRANCHES OF THE MILITARY, GIVE YOU THE PEOPLE THEIR FREEDOMS THAT WE HAVE HAD! MAY GOD ALL OF OUR MILITARY AND ALL OF OUR VETERAN'S.

JAMES O>SHAFFER WWII 4th.Armd.INFANTRY>

October 9, 2013 - 10:04am

I am a republican .94 Yrs. old.I was in BASTOGN WITH Gen.PATTON .You stupid DEMOS. should be deballed for electing Insane OBaMA ,You don't know He is an employe of Geo.SORO .I only wish ,when my out fit reached CHECKLAND I could have bundelled him. Any one or six who tries to get me ,can look at a 20/20 night patrol point man with a cold 45.

sargarnn

October 9, 2013 - 11:23am

I thing there were quit a few republicans that voted for him also. I am a disabled Vietnam Vet. I vote for man running for the presidency, not the party he is affiliated. I am a registered Democrat and I have voted for Republicans before because I thought the candidate was the right person for the JOB. The republicans right now are trying to null and void the results of elections the gave Obama a 2nd term

DAVE MCDUFFIE

October 9, 2013 - 8:36am

CONTINUE TO SHOW THE ABOMINABLE STUPIDITY OF THE DEMONCRAPS....IF ONE DOES NOT APPROVE OF THE POLICIES...GOTTA BE A RACIST...HUH! YOU ARE A CLUELESS MORON AND THE ORIGINAL RACIST !!! GET OVER YOUR COLOR FOOL....COLOR MEANS ZIP !! IT AINT THAT OBAMA IS BLACK...ITS THE FACT HE IS 1) A COMMUNIST IN POLICIES, 2) A MUSLIM 3) AN INEXPERINCED FOOL 4) A KENYAN, A NON-AMERICAN....NOT AN AMERICAN BONE IN HIS SKINNY AZZ BODY !!!

sargarnn

October 9, 2013 - 12:02pm

I see you must have found that web site called "BREAKING OBAMA". If you believe even a third of stuff they put on that site, then indeed your are one stupid person.

Phil

October 9, 2013 - 8:23am

YOU ARE SO FULL OF CRAP YOUR EYES ARE EVEN BROWN. OVOMIT AND REID ARE THE MAIN 2 THAT CAUSED THIS MESS. OVOMIT SHOULD BE ARRESTED , ALONG WITH THE REST OF HIS BASTARD REGIME , AND TRIED FOR TREASON , MURDER AND OTHER HIGH CRIMES AND JUSTICE EXECUTED TO THE FULLEST IMMEDIATELY.

Jake Arrington

October 9, 2013 - 7:00am

You are very uninformed about how the government works and as a result are a serious part of the problem that has caused the mess we are in today because you vote. The President is supposed to be a leader and bring the law makers together to get laws passed and the business of USA done daily. Obama is running our Government like its Chicago politics as usual. Won't work.

3-Putt

October 8, 2013 - 10:51pm

You must not have any family that has received an insurance bill that has doubled. Worst case I have heard is 10,000 for a family of 4.

Paul Gross

October 8, 2013 - 9:56pm

First, Gale , I didn't see a party affiliation mentioned. Secondly, even if this poster is/was a Republican, the comments reflect the author's views and do not represent the views of the Republican Party , or the Tea Party. For the record, the President is not black, he's biracial, the offspring of a black father and a white mother. Complexion notwithstanding, he's still a feather merchant whose executive credentials are (at best) questionable.

Loren Tomblin

October 8, 2013 - 6:56pm

The VA employees do not realize that without veterans they would not have job security. VA Regional is the worst. I have been waiting almost three years for a decision on marriage allowance. The first response told me a marriage certificate was not proof of marriage but would not tell me what was. I don't mind them dragging their feet as long as the foot dragging is helping young veterans with their claims.

DAVE MCDUFFIE

October 9, 2013 - 8:49am

I HAVE LEARNED, FROM EXPERINCE AS A DECORATED COMBAT VET, VIETNAM ERA(!!), STILL AWAITING "APPROVED COMPENSATION" FOR 4 YEARS AND SEVEN MONTHS NOW(!!) THAT V.A. FUNDING IS FOR THE V.A. SCREW THE VETERANS !!

SFC Zimmerman

October 9, 2013 - 5:05pm

Glad to see you can still wave the flag for your past service to this country. I too am a Vietnam combat veteran and it took me 44 years to get rate at 80%. I am a Diabetic, have Heart Disease, skin disease have been thru two marriages and suffer from PTSD which I have finally been rated at 30%. By the way all capital letters is typing in a manner of yelling. Thought you might want to know this. In respect to your anger I understand and sincerely hope you receive help in this area of your health. Do get your problems documented and if no records are available to support your claim then use the term aggravated by military service. Having a DAV representative to assist you in your claim can be extremely helpful as well.I sincerely hope this helps you in your claim. Your brother-in-arms always.

Loren Tomblin

October 8, 2013 - 6:59pm

Atlanta VA Regional

John W. Blalock

October 8, 2013 - 5:41pm

Get rid of homeland security for 1. They are the greatest waste of "Our" money that I have ever seen!!!

Dennis

October 8, 2013 - 6:13pm

I totally agree. We have a military why not use us like othjer countries do and protect ourselves directly

Loren Tomblin

October 8, 2013 - 6:58pm

The most logical thought I have read. Wish I had thought of that.

william kernstock

October 8, 2013 - 5:37pm

Being a WWII Veteran I along with other Veterans we want our county back. What makes Obama think he can lead us like a ASS with a ring around our nose and dictate his wishes upon us.

Diane Anderson

October 8, 2013 - 7:19pm

This is so true he is a dictator in the real sense of the word

sargarnn

October 9, 2013 - 11:27am

If he was a true dictator he would have told the republicans to "Go Screw Themselves" a long time ago. He has to function within the laws of the land.

Darren Wertz

October 8, 2013 - 5:29pm

Why cannot the Legion operate memorials and veteran facilities with "volunteers" until the gov can get squared away? I think this is a way we can be of service.

3-Putt

October 8, 2013 - 11:04pm

I would volunteer for a couple of weeks, to help close the boarders.

Chief B

October 8, 2013 - 3:36pm

Obama should resign. First he should apologize for blaming everything negative during the Obama reign and take responsibility for his actions. He blamed an outstanding President his predecessor George W Bush and during his second reign, term, it's. The Republicans fault. All the sheep that voted for Obama both times as really to blame. What do you expect from someone who vacations moat of his first term and then sticks it to the voters with Obama care which he and his Democrats are exempt from since they have a lifetime free insurance program that the voters have to pay for. His insurance is better than what our returning wounded vets receive. I say resign or start impeachment. Vote for the new guy next to.e. It can't be any worse than what we have now!

sargarnn

October 9, 2013 - 11:31am

The majority of Americans voted for him. That's called DEMOCRACY.

Top Gun

October 9, 2013 - 11:45pm

he bough the vote with free bee did you get your free cellphone?vK

Chief B

October 9, 2013 - 5:01pm

If Obamacare is such a great program why are the president and congress exempt from having to use the program. If Obama and the Senate Democrats were so interested in veterans, why then won't they approve a separate bill authorizing funding for veterans programs. It was the Clinton era that stripped the military down and did not react to the needs of the military. When troops were sent to war by then President Bush, they had to look to the Guard units for equipment. All usable equipment was sent. It takes time to rebuild what wasn't funded by a previous president who had 8 years to strip down and fail to support critical military spending on equipment for our troops. Our current President has the same philosophy. I can only hope that we don't have to go into another war anytime soon. I feel bad for all the federal workers who had to have furloughs earlier and now are out of a job. They too have families and bills to pay. I don't see the President or many of the Congress giving up pay. Who's looking out for these people. It's easy to blame the republicans now since they have control over the house. But what happened in the first 4 years when Democrats controlled both houses and the president office. You had the Democrats railroading Obamacare right into law without even reading or knowing what was in the bill. They were like sheep directed by Obama to vote first and then read the bill. Republicans didn't have the opportunity to have any input. Our government is very dysfunctional and because the Democrats no longer have the ability to railroad bills through congress, you want to put the blame for this mess on the Republicans. Maybe its time for the Democrats to learn how to work with the Republicans to make our Government functional again,

networker67

October 8, 2013 - 4:27pm

You sir should realize you are doing what you accuse the President of. And if you think Bush (43) was an outstanding President then Obama should more than exceed your expectations. Either that or you are IGNORANT to what the word OUTSTANDING means.

Chief B

October 9, 2013 - 5:13pm

It is you that is ignorant to the failings of this president. Our country is in a total mess right now. People have lost jobs. Military has been shrunk down. Military spending cut on badly needed updated equipment. Next time you fly on a C-130 ask how old it is or how old the KC135 refueler is that is refueling our aircraft. A virtual flying gas station that is out dated and consistently needing repairs. I flew on one and we had to divert over the Atlantic to find a base to land as the aircraft was either losing fuel with a leak or the fuel gage was broken. Either way we were in a bad situation. Fortunately we made it to a base and yes both the furl gage was broken and they had a fuel leak. How many times have our plains been grounded? Let's talk about our military brothers and sister in combat or just overseas doing their duty. When do they get paid. Their pay is deferred until the budget passes. Are their bills being differed too? Vet programs were funded in advance but those programs will run out of money too if a budget isn't passed soon. If Obama is so great why is our country in such a mess? Open your eyes.

John Ray

October 8, 2013 - 8:17pm

Yeah. I know what you mean. The republican trolls really come out on the VA blog during times like this. i discount everything they say. Ignorance is not their problem. Disrespect for the office of president, which is one of the things many Veterans died for, is their problem. I seroulsy doubt they are true Veterans.

AjM

October 8, 2013 - 10:39pm

Look and see how many Reps are veterans and how many Dems are veterans. Your idol, the Dictator, has no sense of what a veteran is. SO please don't insult veterans. Thank you!

sargarnn

October 9, 2013 - 12:10pm

I doubt that you know the definition of a DICTATOR so let me explain in words even you can probably understand."A dictator is a ruler who does not rule through democratic means." At last I checked we are still a DEMOCRACY. You get to vote for our political leaders, if you choose not to cast a vote then you have no right to blame anyone but yourself.

J Cameron

October 8, 2013 - 5:39pm

You should look up the definition of ignorant

moonshiner420

October 8, 2013 - 5:32pm

Illegal immigrants get to use the National Mall to protest while WWII Vets are locked out of their memorial. I thnk Obama wants it this way. Hurt as many people as possible with HIS shutdown.

Bill Claus

October 10, 2013 - 10:15pm

President Obama has helped not hurt, John Boehner is the blame for the shutdown. He doe not want affordable health care that would save American lives, however he's all for Government handouts to Big Oil Companystc

sargarnn

October 9, 2013 - 12:20pm

Just because Obama is the POTUS doesn't mean he directly locked out anyone. It is the government[Congress] that decides who gets funding and who doesn't. This shut down belongs to the Republicans, especially the Tea Party ,who have their private agenda with their private big money ,want to take the government down.

John Ray

October 8, 2013 - 8:25pm

You mean the "John Boehner!!" shutdown don't you? "House (controlled by Republicans, lead by, John Boehner, R- Ohio << the R stands for Republican in case your wondering what it means) rejects restoration of funds during shutdown for veterans, parks"

Basil F. Boyce

October 8, 2013 - 3:29pm

This is without question one of the most dysfunctional governmental group that I have seen in my 81 years. It is this irresponsibility from the Office of the Presidency and the other branches of government that has caused this political action. It seems to me that the exceptions for ObamaCare for elected and employed persons is and outrageous "prima donna style" of governing. I believe that this is so self-righteous that it is beyond belief. They simply do not care about Veterans and our fellow Americans. Shame on them!

John Ray

October 8, 2013 - 8:27pm

So you think that only Veterans should receive Federal aid for Health care but the rest of the nation can fend for themselves? What the heck did we fight for?

John Neal

October 8, 2013 - 3:18pm

Obama can't stand Veterans' Backbone

John Ray

October 8, 2013 - 8:30pm

It was Veterans that voted for Obama -twice- You should read the real information about the last two elections. It was the Bush administration that was slack on Veteran benifits and the armor that soldiers in the field needed to stay alive. You should get your priorities straight.

Sgt Pain

October 8, 2013 - 3:18pm

Are the cowardly politians who are staging this hostile takover our our veterans benefits and government sacrificing their benefits?

sargarnn

October 9, 2013 - 12:25pm

No. Because the majority of the congress has never served our country in Military. They do not know the code of the servicemen who have fought for this country in time's of war," I've got your back BROTHER"

David H. Keith

October 8, 2013 - 3:13pm

The behavior of Congress has gone beyond reprehensible into criminal. The people must take their government back from these psychopaths and thieves. Vote every single incumbent out; in fact, recall them. I didn't stand in harm's way and watch my brothers die in a useless war so the politicians could run rampant over our society and become little Hitlers, Stalins, or Pol Pots.

steve harmon

October 8, 2013 - 3:39pm

Ted Cruz for President. Vote out all non Tea Party members, take this country back from the D-bag, lying lib progressives. Shut down the WWII Memorial? Shows what this President's admin thinks of America's greatest, the Veterans, disgraceful.

sargarnn

October 9, 2013 - 11:39am

Ted Cruz is a very scary person. In office for 8 months and trying to run the country into default just because he doesn't like the POTUS and doesn't like the ASA. Since when does the needs of the ONE out weight the needs the of many.

Richard Hudson Sr.

October 8, 2013 - 3:12pm

What about my monthly va disability check??? without it i can't pay my mortgage????????

D

October 8, 2013 - 6:19pm

stand by. as I read it the VA can only promise payouts until "late October" then shortfalls in funding will affect payment of benefits

Bob Kremer

October 8, 2013 - 3:49pm

Whats the reply to this question???????????????

Sandra Merkel

October 8, 2013 - 3:10pm

Are the VA clinics open for patients? I have an appointment next week.

Toby Newton

October 8, 2013 - 9:20pm

Yes, all VA Medical facalities are up & running during Govt. shutdown!!!!