Legion leader mourning lost Marines

Legion leader mourning lost Marines

American Legion National Commander Daniel M. Dellinger is expressing his organization’s sympathies for the families of four U.S. Marines killed at Camp Pendleton Wednesday. The Marines, whose names have not yet been released publicly, died during a “range maintenance” operation at the huge California military installation late Wednesday morning.

“This is not the time to talk about budget cuts or other political issues,” Dellinger said. “It is a time to put these matters aside and extend our deepest sympathies to the families of those brave Marines we lost today. The American Legion does just that. May the good Lord hold their families close and comfort them in this time of mourning.”

Dellinger also noted that the Camp Pendleton tragedy is “a poignant reminder of the perils of military service; a compelling reason to hold all servicemembers, at home and away, in time of peace and in time of war, always close to our hearts.”

Camp Pendleton officials have provided no details of what was termed a “fatal incident” but say an investigation is underway.

More in National Commander

Fred Williams Jr

December 6, 2013 - 8:25pm

To the families of those Marines that lost their lives! You have our condolences! May God Bless you all!

LCPLJ.BAILEY 58-61

November 22, 2013 - 1:28pm

GOD BLESS THOSE MARINES.

Marine Forever

November 20, 2013 - 8:20am

Semper Fi Marines. You have done your job here on earth, you are now guardians of heaven. So, chest out, chin in, until we meet again. I salute you my brothers, our guardians of heaven.

Jim Klinge-Corpsman 67-68

November 19, 2013 - 8:11pm

I was stationed at Camp Pendleton in 1967 as a Hospital Corpsman at the hospital,at FMF school,and Staging Battalion. My brother is a retired CWO 4 Marine. We were both in Vietnam and on the hospital ship Sanctuary and have seen death strike when least expected, as happened to these 4 heroic Marines. My sympathy to their families & friends. I pray time will lessen your suffering and loss.

SSGT-E6 Hubert H Hatchet 1959-1966

November 18, 2013 - 7:31pm

To the families of the four warriors,God bless and keep you during your days and hours of grief.Your Marines will always be Marines and will never beforgotten in our hallowed history. Semper Fi.

Edward J Caballero USMC 56-63

November 16, 2013 - 10:09pm

My prayers to the families of these Marines and all Marines.

sphereofthespear

November 15, 2013 - 5:27pm

As a former Marine, I understand the inherent danger in completing ANY mission when called upon, during training or otherwise..

RQ Hofacker

November 15, 2013 - 12:36pm

I don't see any reference to a "training" mission. Range maintenance involves clearing unexploded ammo of all types, one of the most dangerous assignments outside of combat. If that is the case, these Marines deserve the highest possible post-humous awards, and their family survivors should get the maximum possible benefits. I hope the Legion follows up on that.

Jeanine M

November 15, 2013 - 12:34pm

May God bless and comfort the families of the Marines we lost at Camp Pendleton. My son is stationed there, and there was a moment that I had to wonder and worry. As an Army vet and a Marine mom, my heart had stopped until I found out my Marine was safe. Now my heart aches for those that were lost. It is an honor to come from a military family, knowing the risk, loving our country enough to put our lives on the line, here and abroad. RIP Marines, see you on the other side someday. Semper Fi brothers.

BILL CAPEN

November 15, 2013 - 12:25pm

I HAVE KNOW A LOT OF MARINES THEY ARE A GREAT BREED OF MEN ALWAYS READY FOR THE CHALLENGE. I WAS WITH THEM IN THE SOUTH PACIFIC DURING WWII.GREAT GUYS. MY BROTHER WAS A MARINE FROM THE KOREAN WAR HE PASSED ON IN MAY (SO LONG SKIP SEE YOU SOON)SO MY HEART GOES OUT TO THE FAMILYS OF THESE FOUR MARINES. THEY ARE SERVING THE LORD NOW.GOD BLESS THEIR FAMILYS.

Natalie

November 15, 2013 - 11:06am

My heart and prayers go out to the families and there love ones.

Ed Forrest

November 15, 2013 - 10:51am

My heart is very hurt by this - I pray for my brothers who is at rest now - but will never be forgotten. That is my home base too.

D McEnearney

November 15, 2013 - 9:37am

Rest in peace brothers. May our father in heaven give peace to your families.

karen starr

November 15, 2013 - 9:51am

God bless you and your family I can say brother because we do have woman Marines this I know because my niece is one allow your family to heal and lean on all your family is bigger than blood

karen starr

November 15, 2013 - 9:53am

sorry type error I meant I can not only say brother

Blueboy OE-6 3rd SOG retired

November 15, 2013 - 9:30am

My heart and prayers go out to the families and fellow Marines at this time when the loss of life was a "Horrible accident".

Jim Eidson, ret USA

November 15, 2013 - 7:26am

The lose of a life is always hard to except/understand. It is so hard to try and find the right words to say I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSE, BUT TO JUST SAY IT. May GOD bless and keep all there loved ones and friends in this somer time. Semper-fi my brothers from an Old Army guy who honors all who have served their country and their GOD ...

Major Pat V. Ford (USAF, Retired)

November 15, 2013 - 6:36am

Our thoughts and prayers go out to the famlies of these young Marines who are always ready to put themselves in harm's way for the rest of us. I worked along side Marines in Viet Nam and my father in law was with "The Old Breed" at Okinawa in 1945. We passed each other in 1969 as he deployed to Danang and I returned. That was his 30th year in the USMC. My sincerest thanks goes out to the parents, spouses and children of these noble Marines for letting them protect us.RIP

MSG Bobby Jones Ret.Army

November 15, 2013 - 12:58am

Go Easy

gumpa_38

November 15, 2013 - 12:37am

I am so at a loss for the words to express my feelings. We that have served or are now serving can understand the feeling of emptiness that I mean. Just watch Obama say it is a work place accident instead of being honored for their service it will be turned around to being their fault. I do apologize for my negativity but that is just what is coming down the line from the upper Escalon. Rest in Peace our faithful Soldiers.

Charles W

November 16, 2013 - 1:37pm

It wasn't Bush's fault this time

LCPL Carlisle

November 18, 2013 - 8:07pm

I do NOT think in such a time of sorrow,when there is loss of life that someone should be so insensitive! May you rest in peace comrades,and may the good LORD BLESS, KEEP,AND COMFORT YOUR FAMILIES,FRIENDS,AND LOVED ONES

harold ayers

November 15, 2013 - 5:21pm

I certainly agree with u.We need more LEADERSHIP AT THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF rank to understand that wheN ever and where ever soliders are THEY ARE SERVING OUR COUNTRY AND SHOULD BE HORORERD!!!!!

J Gordon

November 15, 2013 - 2:55am

What a BS POLITICAL comment! Not worthy to be posted in the same place where we express sorrow of the loss of four youg Marines. Shame on you! God Rest the four Marines, bless and comfort their families! J Gordon, US Army Veteran.

HAROLD AYERS

November 15, 2013 - 5:29pm

I TOO AM A VETERAN OF VIET NAM 1966-1967 AND I CERTAINLY ment no political b s! BUT IF U THINK THAT WAY THEN GOD BLESS U TOO!!!!

Sarg.condon j.d.

November 14, 2013 - 11:29pm

Sorry served 1965-1969

Wall-eye

November 14, 2013 - 10:41pm

Rest, good and faithful brothers. Your work on earth is done. Sgt USMC 61-66

carol & J.T Thompson

November 14, 2013 - 8:10pm

God's blessing's to all the loved ones that are suffering thru this terrible time may He bring them all a measure of His peace and surround them with His infinate grace.

Joseph H.

November 14, 2013 - 7:41pm

four more have earned their place in heaven. May God Bless their Families in their time of loss.

GUNNER KREITZ

November 14, 2013 - 7:21pm

MAY THESE YOUNG MEN WHO HAVE SERVED THEIR COUNTRY WELL, NOW THEY WILL SERVE THE LORD IN PEACE, MAY WE ALWAYS REMEMBER THEM IN OUR PRAYERS

Maurice Mack

November 14, 2013 - 6:45pm

Sad to hear about such tragedy for these young men. GOD bless all of them and their families.

John G.

November 14, 2013 - 6:21pm

It is most unfortunate for the families, friends, and our fellow warrior "brothers [(and sisters)]in Arms", to lose 4 "Semper Fi" Marines, whom were, and ARE amongst our nation's bravest to this unforeseen tragedy. My heart-felt condolences to their families in this time of sorrow, from a fellow (former) U.S. Marine.

Combat Marine 65-66

November 14, 2013 - 6:16pm

Rest my brothers. You job is done.

alfonso g didonato jr

November 14, 2013 - 6:15pm

my thoughts and prayers go out those mariens and there family,i was stationd out there from 1951 to 1954,with the thrid marines,semper fi

Clarence Brown

November 14, 2013 - 5:30pm

My prayers go out to the families of these brave Brothers-In-Arms. God bless us all. USAF RET E6

LawrenceR marine 66-70

November 14, 2013 - 5:29pm

Semper Fi,peace be with you.

Raymond V. Gutierrez SW1/SW

November 14, 2013 - 6:17pm

Fair Winds and following seas! Rest in Peace and may HE hold you in the palm of HIS hand.

Todd R 91-99 USMC

November 14, 2013 - 6:02pm

Semper Fi and rest in peace devil dogs. May God bless and keep your families in this time of tragedy.

Clarence Brown

November 14, 2013 - 5:26pm

My prayers go out to the families of these brave Brothers In Arms. God bless America. Clarence Brown, USAF Ret E6

Bud Hall

November 14, 2013 - 5:11pm

God Bless these Marine Warrior's. May God Strenthen and comfort their families. Semper Fi

Wm Whitener, SGM, USA, Ret

November 14, 2013 - 5:01pm

"Semper Fi", Marines!! Rest in Peace!!

Jeff W

November 14, 2013 - 4:52pm

May you find peace and consolation, and may their memories be forever etched in your hearts

Art C

November 14, 2013 - 4:46pm

VERY SADDEN by this incident. My thoughts and Prayers go out to Family, friends and Fellow Marines. May God Bless these men and God Bless the Marine Corp...

CMSGT MOORHEAD, RETIRED

November 14, 2013 - 4:45pm

IT IS MOST UNFORTUNITE THAT THESE THINGS HAPPEN BUT,THEY DO IN SPITE OF OUR UTMOSTE CARE. MAY GOD REST THEIR SOLES AND MAY HE COMFORT ALL FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF THE LOST. I HAVE THEM IN MY EVERY PRAYER. MY OLDEST BROTHER A NAVY CHIEF WAS LOST WHEN HIS SHIP WAS SUNK DURING WW11.YOU EXCEPT IT BUT, IT LIVES WITH YOU FOREVER. MAY GOD BLESS ALL

Anna Chacko MD COL ret USA

November 14, 2013 - 4:51pm

I amm sure you meant "souls" not "soles". AKC

MSG Stephen Durnin ret

November 15, 2013 - 7:13am

Please do not make this a spelling bee. The intent was clear and the respect. These Marines died in the service of thier country with honor. I am proud to serve with all who took that step forward and swore the oath.

L/Cpl WDB USMC 59-65

November 15, 2013 - 10:58am

I agree this should not be a spelling bee. The respect given is clearly understood - we honor these brave young brothers who served. My heart and prayers go out to the families of these men who gave their lives while doing what they believed in.

Gene Byrnes, USMCR 1945-46

November 14, 2013 - 6:59pm

I am sure that you meant "am" and not "amm".

anna chacko

November 14, 2013 - 4:53pm

I amm sure you meant souls and not soles. Our prayers are with the families and their loved ones. AKC

Sam Marchese

November 14, 2013 - 4:45pm

Semper FI Marines, May God Bless your family's and bring peace to their hearts.

MajorMike

November 14, 2013 - 4:45pm

It is always sad to lose a brother Marine, especially due to a training accident. May God hold close the families of those lost and give them comfort in these difficult times. Finding blame is not an issue, after the details are known, prevention of a recurrence is the issue.

Cheryl P

November 14, 2013 - 4:44pm

A loss of life is always the tragedy in these instances. May their loved ones be comforted at this difficult time in their lives. There are always dangers both at home and abroad. I pray they will be remembered for wanting to make a difference. God be with all those who knew them and loved them.

Enrique Pena

November 14, 2013 - 4:37pm

I feel, I feel, I feel the loss of the Marines and the pain of their families...God has called them home and as always semper-fi my brothers

Bill & Ann Langley

November 14, 2013 - 4:37pm

Our prayers and condolences are extended to the families and friends on the lost of their love ones. May God give them strength and comfort in these trying times.

Miles Dooley

November 14, 2013 - 4:33pm

I'm so sorry for the loss of the Marine,in that training mission. My heart go out to there family's that they left. My god be with them and there family's.

EJ Cox

November 14, 2013 - 4:26pm

Without further details we cannot know why this occured and trying to make political points on it is simply not right at this time... The loos of any service member is disurbing. Service in our military is wrought with hazards and danger... That is the simply the nature of the job.. Let's wait and find out. Meanwhile it is all together fitting that we mourn the loss of these members lives..

Ron S

November 14, 2013 - 4:25pm

My heart, condolences, and thoughts go out to the families.

Wife of a Marine

November 14, 2013 - 4:23pm

I am so saddened for the families. May they be given peace.

Sgt. Verho

November 14, 2013 - 4:19pm

My heart goes out to the families and friends of these Marines. Sounds like someone had their priorities elsewhere. Of course, I have no idea what happened. I just know it should not have taken place. Again I give my Christian Condolences to the families.

harry e

November 14, 2013 - 4:15pm

may god comfort there families more marines sent to heavens way semper-fi my brothers

John Scanlan

November 14, 2013 - 4:05pm

I grieve for the families, and for the fellow Marines, dealing with this loss and politicians talk about cutting support for those who are ready to go in harms way to protect us.

DavidE

November 14, 2013 - 3:46pm

It is sad enough to hear that a loved one was killed in action, but in training it is a complete shock. My heart cries out for the families who have lost their loved ones. I pray that God will comfort and strengthen them. We love them, but God loves them more.