New, simplified PUFL program FAQs

New, simplified PUFL program FAQs

Question: What is a Paid Up For Life Membership?

Answer: Paid Up For Life membership is a lifelong membership plan of The American Legion. It ensures you receive all the benefits of Legion membership for life. Lifetime membership is paid either in one payment giving you an immediate savings offer – or charged to your credit card in 12 equal monthly payments. Once you fulfill your membership dues, you’ll never pay another dime in American Legion membership dues.

Question: How is my cost calculated?

Answer: Starting on Jan. 1, 2014, The American Legion rolled out a new, simplified procedure and cost calculation formula.

Previous PUFL forms (printed in 2009) are still accepted if submitted; however most will find the new cost structure and incentives to be a better value.

Age is the primary component used in the new pricing structure. In most cases, post dues are NOT a factor in the calculation.

The cost is specifically calculated for you. Go to www.legion.org/join/PUFL to get your personalized Paid Up For Life offer.

Question: What if my post’s dues increase?

Answer: Being a Paid Up For Life member will protect you from any future dues increases at the post, department or national levels. That alone can save hundreds of dollars over the lifetime of your membership.

Question: What about my subscription to The American Legion Magazine and other member benefits?

Answer: As a Paid Up For Life member, you’ll have a life-time subscription, plus, you’ll receive all active benefits of American Legion membership for life. And once your lifetime membership dues are fulfilled, you’ll receive a permanent plastic card identifying you as a lifetime member. You’ll also receive an annual American Legion membership card each year.

Question: Am I eligible?

Answer: Anyone who is currently an American Legion member or who is eligible for membership may become a Paid Up For Life member.

Question: Why does Paid Up For Life seem to cost more than other organizations’ "life" memberships?

Answer: National Headquarters maintains a special Paid Up For Life Membership trust. Money from this trust can only be used to pay annual dues to your post, department and national headquarters. Each year the trust pays annual dues amounts to your post, department and national organization.

Though we can’t speak with authority on how other organizations set up their "life" memberships, they may not pay annual dues to the local, state and national organizations, resulting in a different cost structure.

Question: What if I want to transfer to another post?

Answer: You may transfer your Paid Up For Life membership to another participating post.

Question: How do I become a Paid Up For Life member?

Answer: It’s easy. Just go to www.legion.org/join/PUFL and enter your name and member ID. You can either choose to pay by credit card or print out the personalized form and mail it in with your check.

Question: What if I still have questions?

Answer: Call our customer service phone number: (800) 433-3318 (Monday – Friday).

More in Membership & Post Activities

Sam Suro

July 12, 2014 - 4:20pm

Google nebraskalegion PUFL brochure. If you view this 2009 chart you can see approximately how your PUFL dues are calculated.

David L. Johnson

July 7, 2014 - 1:03pm

Being 69 I would not live long enough. for the $640.00

Gene Frame

July 4, 2014 - 10:31am

Been a member for 47 years. My lifetime membership would be $640. Way over priced. Won't live that long

Ron Patterson

June 26, 2014 - 7:22pm

WOW - After reading these comments and the web site not giving any costs related to Paid-Up-For-Life., I don't think I will go any farther.

Clint Moureau

June 18, 2014 - 3:03pm

Whoever came up with the PUFL has no concept of the time value of money. A typical PUFL fee of $1000 could be invested in a very safe bond at 5% and yield $50 a year forever without touching the $1000 principle. Since my dues are only $25 per year how is there any incentive for me to become a life member? Doing so would more than double my membership dues.

Bill Scott

June 10, 2014 - 4:39pm

No Thanks

Chuck Finley

June 5, 2014 - 5:29pm

I've got to agree. I love my Post, but just don't see any new members joining. I'm a Desert Storm and OIF vet, 46 yrs old, and the youngest member. You just can't recruit new people with fees this high. Even after me being a paying member of the Legion for over 15 years, I would have to pay over $ 1120 for a PUFL membership. I also believe in earlier comments, there is nowhere on your website where I can find how this number is calculated (no transparency).

Sam Suro

July 12, 2014 - 4:21pm

Leroy McCaul

June 5, 2014 - 2:29am

IMHO, as a PUFL member, I believe this program would be better received if it were a "Perpetual" membership. In this weakening economic environment, I believe that more Legionnaires would be willing to participate if they knew their Department and Post would continue to receive their annual share after we pas on to Post Everlasting. This would help to ensure that our Posts would be there for our children and grandchildren. It is a shame that National is unable or unwilling to help the individual Posts by continuing to provide the Post with annual support after a member dies. I am confident that more would participate if they knew their money would help their Post and Department after they are gone. That is our Legacy to those who come after us.

MadMax24

June 3, 2014 - 5:32pm

I was considering the PUFL but changed my mind, when I saw there was no chart "up front" for me to review. In order to find out how much it would have cost me, I have to enter my name and Member Number. When a company or organization can't put their price out front, they are not getting my business. I have been a Legion Member for nearly 30 years but I think I will just let my Membership expire this year. I haven't been in a Post in many years, partially because I worked overseas after leaving the military. Also, there is just no compelling reason to go. I will remain active in my DAV and VFW, but I will say, "adios," to the Legion.

Brian mCKINNON

March 7, 2014 - 4:18pm

After being a member since 1974(joined at Post 1 Paris France) and reading these posts I am embarrassed to think I would entertain a PUFL membership. I am glad I have let my membership lapse. Also you should not need a quote for pricing it should be a price posted clearly on the web "no muss, no fuss". This organization has become a business whose only concerns are the financial egos of its officers, at all levels, and not about the members needs.

William Campbell

March 5, 2014 - 10:53am

Totally overpriced. Considered until I saw the rates. No real advantage to doing except for bragging rights. A cheap plastic card for PUFL not even a metal one that lasts.

Jeff Barber

February 6, 2014 - 11:37am

I fully agree!!! I've been a Legion member for 18 years now and my current PUFL would be $1,020 for my age of 42. At post dues of $30 per year, it would take 34 years to break even if post dues don't go up. I'd be 76yrs old!! I'm not sure if I'll live that long. Not to mention if I die next week, none of that money gets refunded. I fully agree this is a poorly conceived program that does not benefit its members. There’s got to be a reason National came up with this to only benefit them? Are they trying to make up for some other short comings?

K. Hall

February 3, 2014 - 6:35pm

Carl Pentland. . Click on Membership Renewal, Click Manage Your Membership, Click Paid up for life information, then Click here to start, Enter Member ID and last name, Click Get Offer. Your paid for life amount will appear. Hope this helps you.

RICH CURRAN

January 31, 2014 - 12:57pm

I would like to see a chart of age/post dues like previous years. without that we can't show-at-a-glance what PUFL costs! Would make it easier to advertise to our members and see whatever it is that you say is changed now.

Ken Hicks

March 14, 2014 - 6:51pm

Yes, I agree with you. As the 1st Vice Commander, membership is my primary job. And when asked about the PUFL program, I have nothing to show them. And amazing as it might seem, there are still people that do NOT have computers! Yes, paper is more expensive, but at least put a chart on the web-site that we can print out to show prospective members.

Gary Munkholm

July 6, 2014 - 11:30pm

As Adjutant for my Post I agree with Ken Hicks. I get questioned a lot about how much it would cost to be a PUFL and I can't even show Vets a chart.

Brian Boschen

January 31, 2014 - 11:15am

I have to agree completely with most of the previous postings. I received the quote for PUFL and was disappointed to find it so expensive. Dues would have to increase every year for me to ever break even. There is just no incentive to join this program. This is a poorly conceived program that benefits only the national organization, not the members.

K. Robert

January 27, 2014 - 3:04pm

A PUFL membership is not marketed as a DISCOUNT plan per se - anything but. It is a as I understand and as the PUFL application I completed as I turned . This was just prior to my Post increasing its per capita dues, which was followed in due course by multiple Department and National increases over the years. From that time to the present, The American Legion never came asking for new and additional monies to make up for a failing "discount membership plan" unlike, I understand, something that other VSO's were forced to do because of a poor plan. PUFL dues are factored on current rates at Post Department and National, not future rates. I have been able to pay the dues of several other legionnaires each year who are new or in financial difficulties. My participation in the PUFL program has been VERY rewarding to me and may be to you as well- in future years.

Max Roberts

January 26, 2014 - 6:22pm

I became a PUFL before the dues went up so high so I am one of the lucky ones. As for everyone else I agree that it is way too expensive and I would like to see a break down on how the money is being allocated. Asd far as the other VSO's They are much more on track as to their life membership dues. Come to think of it I would like to see just how the dues annual dues is being spent at National and Department. Just my humble opinion.

Jim Howeth

January 25, 2014 - 7:59am

There is no savings at all. Someone decided to increase the 12 month payment plan by approximately $100. They are financing nothing because it does not go into effect until your last payment. I honestly hope they fight for veterans rights better than they try to market this failing program

CHARLES CRAMEER

January 24, 2014 - 2:59pm

WOW, THAT IS A SHAME.... NO WAIT, THAT IS CRIME.

GLENN DAVIS

January 23, 2014 - 10:40pm

I WAS GOING TO JOIN THE PUFL BUT NOT ANYMORE,,I WILL BE 67 THIS YEAR.AM RETIRED ARMY. THATS TOO MUCH MONEY AT MY AGE. IT SHOULD BE AROUND $300.00. YOU WILL LOOSE ALOT OF GOOD SOLDIERS

Russell Rogers

January 23, 2014 - 10:19pm

Check on my pufl dues and to my shock at 68 years old and dues 32.00a year it was $676.00. That is totally unfair You are going to lose members and there is no advantage to becoming a life member. As a total disabled veteran I have no money for this

Dave Heap

January 23, 2014 - 7:41pm

I totally agree with the other members, the PUFL is NO benefit for the individual who is investing now!! Why would anyone be enticed into doing this when it only benefits the organization at the top and not the individual member!! I agree with Rebecca, it is a TOTAL insult to veterans that make up this organization! A prime example of what happens when an organization gets top heavy (very much like our current government, wouldn't you say?)!! After 25 years, maybe it IS time to place our support in the VFW and other such organizations instead!

Steve Prusinski

January 23, 2014 - 7:37pm

George Randolph, Not everyone who applies for the American Legion that served in the military qualifies. No you don't have to be in an area of conflict or war, but you must have served at a time during a conflict or a war. As a rule of the thumb, if you received the National Defense Medal, you qualify. I don't know where you got the 1 day of active duty, but maybe it's wishful thinking on your part. If you don't believe that someone not in a war zone is not a veteran who faithfully served their country, you're sadly mistaken. I served during Vietnam and Desert Storm in the Navy. I was a vertical replenishment aircrewman in the Navy. I sent our boys food and mail. I never fired a shot. If you are a combat veteran, good for you. Where would you be without food, mail, ammo and USO to name a few? I have PTSD, the same as you, and service related injuries, just like you...why should you be so superior to anyone else? VFW sucks and you know it!

paulcarter.1964

February 6, 2014 - 4:21pm

You have PTSD from handling the food and mail???

George

February 19, 2014 - 12:40am

Awesome comeback! "You have PTSD from mail and food" Bah, ha, ha, ha!

George Randolph

January 23, 2014 - 7:22pm

I tend to agree with Rebecca Jeffries comments above. I belong to the VFW and have been a Life Member with them for a number of years. The VFW is an organization with prestige as VFW members served in a combat zone versus just being in the military, with at least one day of active duty. It seems that the American Legion organization is failing more rapidly than the VFW, AMVETS, VVA, etc.

straffon

January 23, 2014 - 6:22pm

Guess the American Legion doesn't want lifetime members.

Donald K. Goodin

January 23, 2014 - 5:21pm

I agree with Mr. Pentland. Before entering into a life membership, I want to know what it costs. Reading between the lines of some of the other comments leads me to believe that the price of your life membership is exorbitant, compared to other military related organizations. Three of which follow: AUSA - Age Dues Under 55 $525 55-59 $425 60-64 $375 65-69 $300 70 and over $250 VFW - Fee Through age 30 $425.00 31 - 40 $410.00 41 - 50 $375.00 51 - 60 $335.00 61 - 70 $290.00 71 - 80 $225.00 81 and over $170.00 DAV - Age and Amount 80 or older FREE 71 - 79 $140.00 61 - 70 $180.00 41 - 60 $230.00 40 or younger $250.00

Rebecca Jeffries

January 23, 2014 - 5:08pm

My PUFL fee is $1020! At age 44, assuming a $35 annual fee, it will take me 29 years to break even at which point I'll be age 73!! In what realm of logic does this seem like a good deal or any incentive to participate in this member-gouging program!! No thank you! In fact, I may cancel my annual membership all together. What an insult to American Legionaires!!

K. Robert

January 27, 2014 - 3:06pm

Rebecca, do you imagine your annual dues at age 50, 60 or 70 will remain $35 ?

Robert Clark

January 23, 2014 - 4:23pm

The FAQs state "Age is the primary component used in the new pricing structure", yet at age 72 (and very ill) the PUFL for me is $550. What's up with this? If the Lord gives me ten more years I'll feel lucky and for 10 yearly dues that's $350. Where's the savings?

Clyde Fenster

January 23, 2014 - 4:16pm

Your PUFL site can't be working. I tried to access it and I can't get it to come up.

GarryLee

January 23, 2014 - 3:50pm

I still refuse to get a life membership - I am a life member of the VVA, Amvets, DAV, etc. and the American Legion Life Time membership is three time - yes I did the enrollment process and that is too expensive for my blood which I gave for this country. Thank You but I'll continue with the $35.00 a year.

Tom Arnott

January 23, 2014 - 4:20pm

I'm 54 and my life expectancy by the CMA and SSA is 83. My $1000. American Legion dues paid via lifetime won't break even until I'm 93. Makes no sense, total greed run by people that don't understand simple economics and that people go elsewhere because the American Legion is over priced on lifetime memberships. If the lifetime trust were to gain 3% per year compounded, my lifetime fee paid this year would be around $600, not $1,000.

Donald.H.Muller

January 23, 2014 - 3:34pm

I do not have a current card?

Carl Pentland

January 23, 2014 - 3:22pm

Why doesn't this advertisement show the rates of paid up for life membership. I don't want to go through the enrollment process without knowing cost in advance. Thank you.