How does this year’s winter weather compare among the roughest you can remember?

Worst ever. I can handle the snow or cold, but the combination this year has been brutal.
12% (118 votes)
Very bad because it has gone on too long. By the end of January, I’d had enough snow, cold and ice.
29% (278 votes)
Not among the worst. I can remember at least five winters that were rougher.
40% (391 votes)
Winter? What winter? Fortunately, I live in a warm climate during winter.
13% (123 votes)
Wait a minute. I fought in the Battle of the Bulge, at the Frozen Chosin and/or the mountains of Afghanistan. Get over it.
2% (20 votes)
Other: Your comments here.
4% (37 votes)
Total votes: 967

View more polls

J. Kosmicki

March 13, 2014 - 8:52pm

It's been the longest cold spell that I can remember in Wisc.

Grady Olson

March 13, 2014 - 9:09pm

Now I know what it means when there are no muskrats houses. VERY< VERY< VERY COLD

Mike Deaderick

March 13, 2014 - 10:36pm

Depends on where you live of course. It was colder here (WA State)than normal, but not much snow. Must be the "Gobel Warming" BS that the goverment wants us to believe.

Robert I. Finkel, M.D.

March 13, 2014 - 11:11pm

Thank God for Global Warming. Without it we might have received 40 feet of snow and temperatures approaching 0 degrees Kelvin.

SgtRW

March 13, 2014 - 11:29pm

IF YOU WANT COLD, TRY THULE GREENLAND. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT. -60 FOR THE HIGH.

Leonard Storlie

March 13, 2014 - 11:57pm

I was born in 1937 and grew up on a farm south of the metro area. This winter was brutal but not the worst that I can remember. There were several with more snow, colder, or a mixture. Live on a farm during these winters and experience doing the work with horses clearing snow with equipment that is no where as good as today's equipment. Our buildings were not insulated as well as they are today and we did not have indoor plumbing until early 1950's.

Leonard Storlie

March 13, 2014 - 11:58pm

I grew up in Minnesota.

Old Man from the Hills

March 14, 2014 - 6:58am

Up here in snow country, it's getting close to spring. Boy skunks are out looking for girl skunks, I can see the dirt in some places, and the wife is chompin' at the bit to get out in the garden!! Has been a L-O-N-G winter!! I've just about got my youngest grand-son convinced that summer is not going to come for him' cause he'll have to make up all those "snow days". Seriously, we have had record snow fall and extreme cold. If this is the result of "global warming" we could be in the deep weeds!!

Jim Sharp

March 14, 2014 - 8:42am

This winter has been bad in upstate New York; however, it still doesn't hold a candle (or an icicle?) to the winter of 1977-78 in Detroit. The frigid cold was unrelenting and the snow was measured in feet. The National Guard was called out to help clear the streets.

Tom from Quiggleville, Pa

March 14, 2014 - 9:28am

Wasn't the worst . I remember cold and snow back in the 50's. This winter just brought back those fond memories.(no polartec and thinsulate or even a good down vest)Problem this year was the normal size wood pile didn't last as it has in the past

vince wade

March 14, 2014 - 9:52am

Hard to say. As a snowbird, I leave Buffalo every winter to come to Florida. Come on down!

Ken Koenitzer

March 14, 2014 - 11:37am

Growing up in northwest New Jersey and still a volunteer weather observer for the National Weather Service
as well as various media organizations this winter is snowier and colder than many BUT nowhere near the
record snows. In the 90s we had 122 inches of snow at the higher elevations during one winter plus looking over my records back to the 50s there were quite a few much harsher winters. Today's media drives folks into a unneeded sort of panic situation. Being a skier I love the snow and cold.

Al Erdmann

March 14, 2014 - 4:17pm

Winter 1948-49 in Western South Dakota

Steven O

March 14, 2014 - 5:55pm

The winter of 1977 / 1978 was worse, with constant cold and blowing snow.

John P. Grillo

March 14, 2014 - 6:43pm

I learned a new meteorological phrase in the Earth Sciences. It's called the "polar vortex" amongst climatologists (i.e. climate scientists) and meteorologists (i.e. "weatherman"). Very dangerous, life threatening, frigid, Arctic air from Canada descending as far south as the "Peach State" of Georgia into the Florida panhandle. Very unusual! Southerners are not "used" to this type of "deep freeze." "Old Man Winter" should be "beating a hasty retreat" soon after the Vernal Equinox (i.e. the Spring Equinox) or the first day of Spring, this year on Thursday, March 20th, 2014. However, NATURE, NOT the CALENDER determines when milder weather is to be experienced, with a more or less, somewhat consistent pattern.

Roger S.

March 14, 2014 - 8:05pm

I farmed in 1977. Had over 20 days straight that were below zero and much more snow than this year. Had water line to the cattle that was buried 3 ft. deep that froze and couldn't get to cattle for 3 days (snow too deep to make it with a large farm tractor). THAT WAS THE WORST!!

Marlene Crumley

March 15, 2014 - 7:33pm

Back in the late 50's, early 60's, in South Bend, IN when I was a kid the snow froze to about a foot. We chopped it into blocks and made igloos and fortresses in our backyards and had snowball wars with the rest of it. It was great! Here in Yakima, WA we've only had 3 measurable snowfalls this year. We had an ice storm in 1995, but since then we've been always low on the precipitation but usually pretty cold. Guess that what it's like living in high desert. At least it snowed in the mountains. That's where our irrigation water comes from: good for agriculture and keeping our lawns green.

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <p>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.