VA issues new ID cards

VA issues new ID cards

The Department of Veterans Affairs is issuing new Veteran Health Identification Cards (VHICs) to about 4 million veterans and family members enrolled in VA’s health-care system.

The new cards provide a more secure means of identification for veterans due to Social Security numbers and dates of birth no longer contained in the card’s magnetic strips or bar codes. Instead, the cards now display an Electronic Data Interchange Personnel Identifier number as the "member ID" on the front of the card and embedded in the magnetic strip. These numbers will be unique to each cardholder.

While The American Legion understands the need to convert to a more secure ID card system, it is urging the department to ensure that no VA enrollee is denied timely access to health care during the card transfer.

According to VA, mailing of the cards "will begin soon. Because we will be reissuing 4 million cards, we ask for your patience during this time." A new VHIC will be automatically mailed to veterans who have the old Veteran Identification Card (VIC).

Last September, VA suspended the issuing of VICs to allow time for changing its systems to read the new card. However, VA has continued taking veterans’ requests for cards – the requests have been put on hold but will be produced and issued as soon as the final system changes are ready.

Enrolled veterans who do not have the old VIC may contact their local VA medical center’s enrollment coordinator to arrange to have their pictures taken for the new cards, or they may request a VHIC at their next VA health-care appointment. Veterans must provide proper identification in order to receive the new cards.

To receive VHICs in a timely manner, veterans enrolled in VA should make sure their mailing addresses are correct. To update or confirm an address with VA, call (877) 222-VETS (8387). If the post office is unable to deliver a VHIC, the card will be returned to VA.

While VA regrets the delay in providing veterans their new cards, the cards are not required to receive VA health care. The VHIC is for identification and check-in at VA appointments. It cannot be used as a credit card or an insurance card, and it does not authorize or pay for care at non-VA facilities.

Click here for more details on the new VHICs.

More in Veterans Health Center

KnowBetterNow

June 30, 2014 - 2:32am

The last ID cards could be hacked for your private info and to track your whereabouts. A major screw up there. That's a lot of privacy to give up just to flash for an appointment at the VA or a discount at Home Depot. So, do you really want another one from the same source? How many cards do we need for the VA care anyway? I'm just glad they aren't forcing me to have "veteran" printed on my driver's license like they're doing in other states. Believe it or not, the police do profile us and are probably going to be looking for that "Service-Connected: PTSD" when they swipe our IDs for a background check at a simple traffic stop.

Ronald D Abney

April 20, 2014 - 9:38pm

I served in 1965 to 1970, 18 months in VietNam. Was sprayed 2 times daily over our camp with wet uniforms, today I have schematic heart decease, over enlarged heart, 4 operations for aneurysms, high blood pressure and numerous other related illnesses. To be quite honest, I have a wonderful VA doctor in Peru Indiana who really cares about her patients, 3 years running and she is still there. I thank the VA for being there helping our soldiers.

Ronald D Abney

April 20, 2014 - 9:33pm

George Wallis

March 7, 2014 - 5:18pm

Am interested in obtaining a part-time job in or near Lynn, MA. I am 77 years old now and cannot find any employment due to a deformed ankle and hard to walk.

BDB

March 1, 2014 - 1:05am

My card works just fine. I would like a primary care doctor that speaks ENGLISH and doesn't act like my health care is coming out of their pocket. I am 100% service connected and go to the VA for a reason and I don't like being treated like a dog. Isn't it about time for congress to give themselves another raise?

Harold E Smith II

February 28, 2014 - 5:55pm

The VA has really stepped up to help me with my healthcare. I have been treated well and got the green light for my exposure to agent orange. Due to a fast acting Captain in the Army at the agent orange load up area. I got a shower after blow back exposure in a helicopter I was in. We returned to the load up site and were put in a neutralizing shower and our clothes were thrown away and we got new uniforms and were picked up by a medevac Uh1B and flown back to Saigon. I have no sickness and I have children, Grand children and 1 great grand child who are all healthy. The VA has really taken excellent care of me and It is sure better than the homecoming I go when I came back from Vietnam.

Cari H. Robinson

February 28, 2014 - 3:23pm

Thank you, for the new card, but I refer to have my back pay for compensation for Agent Orange , which help improve our life, if we could receive, our money for an earlier affect date sent to me,i have made many appeals in an effort to receive it or deposited in my account. PLEASE!!!

K J Kadziauskas

February 28, 2014 - 12:03am

The new cards are obsolete before they are mailed. Guess the VA never heard of "Chip & PIN" technology. The rest of the world has, except Americans. Another silly waste of money.

ARTER E.WOOD JR (BUDDY)

February 27, 2014 - 11:48pm

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHY A 33 YEAR OLD, GETS HURT PLAYING A PICK UP BASKETBALL GAME, AND GETS A DISABILITY CHECK AND MEDICAL CARE. I ON THE OTHER HAND SERVED FROM 1962 TO 1968 AND HAVE BEEN TURNED DOWN FOR MEDICAL HELP. I DO NOT WANT A CHECK EACH MONTH, JUST MEDICAL CARE. THIS SEEMS SO UNFAIR TO THOSE OF US THAT FIND OUR SELVES IN THIS CONDIITION.

Sandra

February 28, 2014 - 8:46am

You are so right! It is so unfair!!

Reynaldo Salinas AKA Rey

February 27, 2014 - 9:32pm

A while back I asked of my local VA Office in Lincoln, NH to send me a quote to pay for a life time membership, and I never received a response. I could not figure out the cost. I will be 80 in September 2014, and I am not in favor of fiddling with monthly or yearly bills, and I am also opposed to mailings. Would apprecite a quote. Thank, Rey

Michael Donovan

February 27, 2014 - 9:09pm

I fail to see the urgency in replacing the old cards. Mine works quite well on check in at any VA facility. The VA should instead put their money where their mouth is and do a better job helping those who really need it. More qualified doctors and nurses would be a real plus.

Norman Dyche

March 1, 2014 - 8:13pm

How do you get a doctor that even knows you, or your records? Its like running cattle thru a cattle chute for worming. I have had three different doctors in 4 years, all foreign I don't know what they are paying these guys but doesn't seem they hold on to the good ones. Or, they take the good ones and put in regional med centers while the clinics are worthless.

Larry Tomlin

February 27, 2014 - 7:50pm

If you figure each of the 4m cards will cost @ 10.00 to produce and mail why don't we spend this money on getting more and better doctors and VA treatment put a piece of tape of the bar code works just as well what do figure

Bruce Webb

February 26, 2014 - 6:09pm

The VA failed to say that when they downloaded the new software for the new cards in September they found out that the cameras were incompatible to the software. That's why they are saying that the cameras are broke. Guess what? Do you think the cameras were in their budget? Funny how all of the cameras broke. But I'm glad that they are working on getting the new ID's Just hate half truths in stories.

Devin Wiggins

February 25, 2014 - 8:00pm

Wow, that makes things more easy for people. Smart!