Legion supports veteran's fight for flagpole

Featured in Flag Advocacy
Legion supports veteran's fight for flagpole

The American Legion has joined the fight being waged by a Medal of Honor recipient against a Virginia homeowner association's demands to remove a flagpole.

Col. Van Barfoot, 90, a World War II and Vietnam veteran, was ordered by the Sussex Square Homeowner's Association to remove the flagpole from his front lawn after he flew the U.S. flag on Labor Day and Veterans Day. The association is claiming that the flag pole is not "aesthetically appropriate."

"The association underestimated the fight left in this elderly veteran and now they have to contend with the determination and persistence of Col. Barfoot's 2.5 million friends in The American Legion," National Commander Clarence Hill said. "Col. Barfoot has hired legal counsel. The American Legion is prepared to help with the expenses and fight these disgraceful actions by the association. Where is the common sense here? Is this anyway to treat any American, much less a true hero like Col Barfoot?"

Fighting for the flag is not new to The American Legion, the nation's leading authority on flag etiquette. Since 1989, The Legion has been fighting for a constitutional amendment that would grant Congress the authority to protect Old Glory from desecration.

"The flag is a symbol of our country," Hill said. "People should fly it proudly. That's all Col. Barfoot wants to do. If he were desecrating the flag, instead, the association couldn't do a thing to stop him. We proudly stand with Col. Barfoot and say ‘enough already!' Let him keep the flagpole and fly the flag as often as he wants. He certainly earned that right."

"What the association is doing is especially disgraceful given the fact that our president has ordered another 30,000 troops to Afghanistan in defense of our freedom," added Joseph Caouette, The American Legion's Chairman of Americanism. "I wonder what they think of all of this."

More in Flag Advocacy

jetteryhibbard

July 1, 2011 - 6:25am

These are great information, I was glad I happen to stop by on your blog. My research is almost done, thanks for sharing this.

jetteryhibbard

June 28, 2011 - 11:42am

this is great!!like this....

jetteryhibbard

June 23, 2011 - 3:55pm

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed! Very useful info particularly the last part :) I care for such information a lot. I was looking for this particular information for a very long time. Thank you and best of luck.

ron2

March 15, 2010 - 11:02am

Check out the "Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005". It gives individuals the right to display the US Flag even if real estate associations say otherwise.

ron2

March 15, 2010 - 11:01am

dtardif

December 8, 2009 - 6:15pm

What an insult to an honored and true hero. Where is the ACLU on this one?

Top Rat

December 9, 2009 - 10:00pm

How can a home owners association think they are more important/better than a true American hero as Col Barfoot. Don't these people understand where their right to have this association came from. Sure as heck wasn't from an idiot with a degree, it came from Col Barfoot and the other millions who served along his side during WWII. Come on people wake up and smell the roses. I say continue the fight Col, I'll be right by your side. SEMPER FI....MSgt Rantzow, Retired USMC

hm1wil

December 7, 2009 - 3:37pm

If this association is so against the symbol of America, let them move to a new country. If the Virginian government don't have the *alls to stop this disgrace then let's move the Fleet out of the state to some place that respects what the military does for this country. Stand Tall & Proud Colonel.

jpmurphy

December 7, 2009 - 8:24am

I've had a knot in my stomach ever since hearing about it on National news a day or two ago. Reminds me of the unwelcome welcome we got upon returning from RVN. If the wind in middle Kansas wern't so strong, my flag pole would be taller than the one at the court house. It's time to get the entire country behind this great man and shame this association into honoring him as he should be honored. Stand your ground Colonel and don't accept anything less than 110% support from these morons.

gunrunr

December 5, 2009 - 1:55pm

It seems many HOA frequently get stupid ideas. This one may top them all. I am a member of the VFW, American Legion and Legion Riders. I wonder how this HOA would like to have 1000 bikes all with flags flying visit their neighborhood. It may be interesting to find out. You have fought before Col. don't quit now!!

datoolman

December 4, 2009 - 10:50pm

What is this great nation coming to, anyone who wishes to display the Great symbol of our Nation should be allowed to do so with immunity and here, an honored veteran, decorated for his service to those who would take away his right to fly his flag now must suffer the humility of a co-ops decision to take that right away from him, or me or you. Be damned I say, if he had directly defended their personal right to live free and prosper would they still be demanding he remove the pole? I think not.

Husker

December 4, 2009 - 8:38pm

As a member of the American Legion, American Legion Riders and Patriot Guard Riders I applaud the American Legions support for Col. Barfoot

PopsBoranian

December 4, 2009 - 7:21pm

I hear the chatter but what is going to be done to help this MOH winner with this crazy situation. I do not understand why every post within driving distance of his house does not show up at his house and let him and the association know we stand. My homeowner association attempted to stop me but I won out in the end

Raven1

December 4, 2009 - 6:53pm

I can assure that all in NC Post 84 will join the fight. And our Legion Riders Chapter will gladly take point! Just exactly where does this clown, who disapproves of the Flag flying, live? A few hundred Legion Riders and Patriot Guard Riders parading around his house could persuade a salute from any hardcase. I'll pay for the parade permit, myself.

bochfus

December 4, 2009 - 6:13pm

Just another sign of the deteriorating respect for our American Heroes and the American Flag. Shame on this Homeowners Association. Carry on the fight as you did before. We support you totally.

maverick

December 4, 2009 - 5:40pm

As a member of the American Leigon, VFW and Marine Corps League my comment to unpatriotic Americans is "If you can't stand behind our troops, Please feel free to stand in front of them." People seem to relax and enjoy the freedoms that the blood of patriots have provided them, but ask them to get out of their easy chair and contribute and you get all kinds of arguments and excuses. Ungratefull (Blank)

Charles M Roberts

December 6, 2009 - 9:14pm

As a Korean Vet and American Legion Member and A full fledge AMERICAN, I think it is pretty sorry for a person that calls himself an AMERICAN to tell an AMERICAN and War Hero that he can not fly his AMERICAN Flag when and where he wishes to.

VASONSCHIP

December 4, 2009 - 3:50pm

The Detachment of Virginia of the Sons of the American Legion (and I know I speak for the Department-Legion and Department-Auxiliary) are fully in support of our own hometown Hero-Col. Barfoot.

flade

December 4, 2009 - 3:36pm

Post 504, Jackson, NJ stands ready to help. So does the Patriot Guard and the VVA. Pete Collins Commander AL Post 504

Bobby L. Fiveash

December 4, 2009 - 12:56pm

These People don't know what it takes to have the Freedom they have. None of them have ever put there lives on the line for OLD GLORY (our Flag) to have the freedom they have. We have to fight and die for our FREEDOM. He can fly OLD GLORY any time He wants.

BURT LOGAN

December 4, 2009 - 11:59am

Col. Barfoot's actions are admirable and certainly worthy of support from all true Americans. Thank you Col. Barfoot for continuing to lead.

eddy5119

December 4, 2009 - 10:10am

Sounds like the association hangs out with the aclu.

DARTS1969

December 4, 2009 - 10:04am

This Crap has to stop

James Lovelace

December 4, 2009 - 9:45am

Since Vietnam we have seen a down fall of the National Pride from the people of this country. On 9/11 the put up flags and and tied yellow ribbons around everything that wouldn't move. But let's face it, this country has no guts for WAR and the things that come with it. They don't understand what it means to have that Flag blowing in the yard. The sad part is that they don't care either. Stand Tall OlD Glory Stand Tall

Tinkertoy

December 4, 2009 - 9:39am

If the homeowners aasociation believes that they can bully Col. Barfoot, they have another thing coming. They are now going up against the entire country on this one. Col. Barfoot is originally from Mississippi and he has the support of the entire state behind him.

ccboothe

December 4, 2009 - 9:31am

The association needs to apologize profusely to Colonel Barfoot, then get their uptight butts out there for his daily flag ceremonies. This situation is beyond disgusting.

earlmayo

December 3, 2009 - 9:09pm

I am 22 yr vetran and life member of American Legion and VFW. I consider it outrageous that an American war vetran is at any time not allowed to fly the American flag at his own home, his placve of work or anywhere else in the United States.