A lifetime commitment to the Legion

When the founders of The American Legion first came together, they had a mission: to create an organization that would improve not only the lives of World War I veterans coming home in 1919, but those of veterans in years to come. They made a commitment that went far beyond their own lifetimes.

Whether you know it or not, when you joined the Legion, you made a similar commitment. By paying your dues, you were making possible the continuation of the mission and the many programs of The American Legion. By renewing your membership, you extended that commitment for at least another year.

But our 200,000-plus Paid-Up-For-Life members have taken that commitment a step further. Many years further, in fact. By getting a PUFL membership, they've said, "I believe in what this organization is doing, and I'm all in." Being a PUFL member carries with it a badge of honor, distinction and commitment. It's recognized throughout the organization.

Some posts reward active and longtime members and past post commanders with PUFL memberships. It's a way of saying, "Thanks for what you've done for the Legion all these years. We're going to make it easier for you to keep doing it." Others encourage their members to become PUFLs. And at the end of the day, any Paid-Up-For-Life member is one less member a post needs to renew each year. Get 50 PUFL members in a post of 100, and you're automatically at 50 percent at the beginning of the membership year, without making a single call or knocking on any doors.

Getting a PUFL membership is a financial commitment. I know that. And I know that in these unsteady financial times, that's asking a lot. But look at it in terms larger than dollars and cents. You're not just buying a lifetime membership. You're making a lifetime commitment to the principles and programs upon which this organization was founded. You're committing funds to programs that make a difference in communities across America, for veterans, servicemembers, their families and the youth of our country.

The dues from your PUFL membership support the hundreds of thousands of young people who participate in American Legion Baseball, Oratoricals, Boys State and Boys Nation each year. They provide the means for Legion staff to go before Congress and lobby for your benefits, and the benefits of our men and women in uniform. They make it possible for Legion representatives to make site visits at VA medical facilities across the country, ensuring that our veterans are getting the best care possible.

A PUFL membership is an investment in The American Legion, but what the Legion does every day makes it an investment that pays priceless dividends. Those who have stood in harm's way, from France to Fallujah - along with their families, children and communities everywhere - directly benefit from the strength of our membership. To become a PUFL member secures that strength for a lifetime.

Vietnam Veteran

January 17, 2014 - 3:44pm

Since I've not been able to locate the cost of PUFL membership anywhere on this site; it is probably for just a select few. I'm already a lifetime member of both the VVA and VFW. I'm 69 years of age and if the American Legion PUFL cost is over $300 it is way too high!

desert

May 17, 2013 - 7:16pm

I agree, the fees for life membership is too high....I am 71.....would do it, if the price was cheaper as I know the money would be put to good use.....but half the fee to be put to good use is better than "no fee" don't you think?

jmw1170

October 8, 2011 - 11:55am

Most of us "younger" Vets can not afford the PUFL price. It can get rather costly and with a young family and other activities. The thousands of dollars it cost just can not be rationalized.

I would absolutely love to be PUFL, but until National gets past the "greed" and lowers the cost, it is and will always be a pipe dream! Most other organizations that I belong to only charge about $300 - $500 for lifetime membership and it is across the board - no matter how old you are.

William Geary

March 22, 2011 - 4:53pm

The rate chart which existed a few years ago made sense for a person to buy a PUFL because they could save money if they lived several more years. The new rate chart makes it unwise to say the least. A person 50 years old and annual dues of $30 would have to live to be 80 before any savings would be realized. A person 60 years old would have to live to 85. A 70 year old, 89. The older you are, the less sense it makes to buy a PUFL. Even if dues go up $5 every 5 years, that 70 year old would still have to live to 86 to realize a savings. The younger the member is, the better the deal seems. A 40 year old will start saving at 75. If you want the older members to buy the PUFL, lower their rates.

städfirma

March 1, 2011 - 1:58pm

Very great article, its really show the passion those people have for the country.

Bob95490

February 26, 2011 - 10:49pm

I am Post 174's newest PUFL. I joined the American Legion two years ago when our Post's Service Officer began helping me navigate the VA paperwork minefield. Thanks to his attention to detail and persistence my VA experience was far better than I ever thought it would be. This year, thanks to Post 174's Service Officer's efforts on my behalf, I finally received my service connected disability rating.

I became a PUFL to show my gratitude to the American Legion and Post 174 for helping me and to be able to add my efforts to those of my Post in serving our community and country. I would like to say Thank You American Legion for giving me an opportunity to serve once again.

Robert Ireland - Willits, CA

Don Wickham

December 13, 2013 - 12:06pm

WHAT IS THE COST OF PUFL MEMBERSHIP?

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <p>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.