F.N.G. here

Forums:

Hi Friends, W8DMZ present in Muskegon, MI.

I too am anxious to get this group going. I'm thinking we should have a scheduled "net" sometime soon.

I set up my portable HF radio + 20m wire + power supply on our Post 28's second story deck, overlooking Lake Michigan, and made several contacts coast to coast.

I suspect Post's won't rush to embrace our Clubs until somehow, someway (Lord forbid) we out shine regular communications at some unforseen calamity. Meanwhile, I'll gladly use my stuff as best I know how.

I would be interested to see a list monthly of all new members, such that individually, maybe we can contact each other.

73's y'all and Lets get this ALARC fired up!!

KC0JPO

November 5, 2011 - 9:54pm

I think a net would be a great thing. I am going to suggest a 20 meter net sometime around 1800Z. That is my suggestion. Frequency? Open but in the General class limits so we don't exclude too many. We could, theoretically do a 10 meter net, once it is consistently open.

73 de KCØJPO/AFA8JP
John Murphy
"When all else fails...Amateur Radio"
Post 253, White Shield, ND
Mountrail County (ND) ARES/RACES
Owner, Oil Country Radio’s
701-421-1134
New Town, ND 58763
Business Email: ocr58763@mail.com
Personal Email: jmurphy7411@gmail.com

AC8AL

November 6, 2011 - 10:21pm

Twenty meters is a good choice. I imagine it will be USB as many today are not that good with CW. The 1800Z time will be a challenge for me as that is right in the middle of the day and I am usually out and about. I would make the ones that I could. Setup an alternate frequency, net script, NCS and alternate NCS schedule, relay stations, etc.. will be needed.

Best regards,
Rich "Doc" AC8AL

joeb424

November 4, 2011 - 10:02pm

I'm new to Amateur Radio, but am interestd in getting the American Legion Radio Club going. I think the idea of a "net" is a good idea. Will somebody take the lead and start a Legion Net!?
Post the time and freq on this forum and we can get it going.

Joe Bucci
KB3WMM

AC8AL

November 6, 2011 - 10:13pm

The K9TAL officers are working on a national level net as well as the radio room. They said a net will most likely not begin until early 2012, after the holidays. I do not know which local post or what states have an AL net going. I have not heard of any besides a post in Kansas.

Best regards,
Rich "Doc" AC8AL

W8DMZ

November 4, 2011 - 11:46am

Hi Rich, AC8AL ...
...being goofy here, but I'd recommend Legion post 28 Grand Haven, due to it's having a 2nd floor balcony which has suited my QSO's just fine, coast to coast, with a wire and good ole' m/c battery for power.
...i've posted on their bulletin-board about Ham radio interests, but got no takers so, maybe someday someone besides me will step up and possibly help move this forward. I know the Commander is aware of generally what Ham radio is about, as I've sent him pics of my setup on the balcony. Great view of Lake Michigan and passersby. I've had many positive remarks about seeing me set up there, doing Ham radio.
...lets do coffee. My email is on QRZ.com

73's all ...
mick-w8dmz

AC8AL

November 6, 2011 - 10:08pm

Howdy W8DMZ
I have been to the Conklin post many times. I am part of the Scottville Clown Band and we have done many shows there after the USCG Parade. It is a very nice post and it has great facilities. I will need to think hard about joining that post as it is so far from where I live (35 minute drive). Are there any active posts in Muskegon county or do we need to drive to Ottawa county?

Also, do we have to pay a dues for each post we join? This could add up quickly as the wife and I already put out money to the national AL HQ to become AL members. Just need to know so I can make sure the budget it right.

Rich "AC8AL

WSloan

December 1, 2011 - 11:45am

HI Rich,

KC9ANG here, name is Bill. I'm the secretary for K9TAL here at the national headquarters. I wanted to answer your question about dues.

First of all, as a Legion member you can only be a member of one post at a time, although your membership card from one post gives you access to most all posts in the country (you may have to sign in as a guest). The same is true for your wife if she is an Aux member. So one dues payment each year.

Question also comes up about K9TAL dues or any sort of national dues structure for the amateur radio clubs that are forming. There will be no national dues for these clubs. Whether or not the local club would like to charge membership dues within the club itself is entirely up to them.

We feel that you have already paid dues to be a member of the Legion--which is why membership in K9TAL is also free to Legion, AUX, and SAL members who hold amateur licenses!

73,

Bill

AC8AL

December 1, 2011 - 6:02pm

Thank you for the info Bill. My wife and I both joined the AL (she too is a veteran) and the AL Ham Radio Club. We enjoy ham radio and we enjoy Scouting. We are visiting various post over the next few months to see which one we are good fit with. One that has scouting and ham radio will definitely be great to find. Unfortunately, I already know from what I do in Scouting that there are no AL posts that sponsor scouts in this area. The Venturing Crew that my wife and I are leaders for has selected amateur radio and emergency services as their specialty too. Perhaps some of the local AL posts will be awaken to the opportunities that exists when you combine Scouting, Amateur Radio, and the American Legion.

Best regards,
Rich "Doc" AC8AL

AC8AL

October 24, 2011 - 1:08pm

Good day everyone.
My wife and I just joined the American Legion today. We are excited about the additional opportunities that the membership will bring us. The biggest is the Amateur Radio Club. That played a big factor in us joining. We are members of the DAV as well. She is a USMC vet and I am USN (FMF) retired. We met Mick, W8DMZ, and other riders (Patriot Guard or Legion, can't remember which)back in May this year. Mick put a good plug in for the Legion then too.

I do not know of any posts in our area that has a ham station. Fortunately there are at least three of us in the same county that could help get things going.

We look forward to a net at all levels (national, state and local) as well as great ole rag chew times with other veterans.

Best regards,
Rich "Doc" AC8AL

Richard K0RCJ

October 15, 2011 - 12:01pm

Hello all, Richard here, K0RCJ in McPherson, Ks. A proud member already.
We are trying to set up something here in McPherson, will approach someone this weekend.
Have several friends that want a Post station to be an up and coming thing. For the Post. and for exposure for the Legion and Amateur Radio in General.
Any ideas would be welcome.

Richard k0rcj@aim.com

W5EAK

October 4, 2011 - 11:31am

I am a member of the Knights of Columbus. I got our chapter interested in Amateur Radio, only after I showed how we could use Ham Radio to encourage young people to be better citizens and how they could apply for the ARRL's Scholarship programs. How our values can embraced by young people. How they will loose their license if they run afoul with the law. How Ham Radio is very involved with Boy Scouts and having a Station at the Legion Hall would be a way for young people to have a place to come and enjoy themselves and learn. Remember too, Ham Radio teaches Geography, Math, Science, Electronics, etc that helps the kids improve their grades at school. How both Dad, and Son/Daughter could be licensed and this would give them a common interest. We offer monthly License Testing. Our Kids, Our Future, sell this! This could be a SAL and Boy Scout Project, and a great way to increase membership! Then sell the idea of an ECOM station at the Hall. I have more info, no room here.

AC8AL

November 6, 2011 - 10:31pm

We do need the kids to be involved or the hobby will die with us. I am a member of a Boy Scouts of America co-ed Venturing Crew (West Michigan Venturing Crew 9050)that specializes in amateur radio emergency communications, preparedness, and first aid to include wilderness first aid. They could not find an organization that would help provide trained adult leaders so they created their own amateur radio club and then sponsored themselves. Now that I am a member of the AL, perhaps one of the local AL posts would like to sponsor the crew and get some youth involved with the AL at the same time.

Best regards,
Rich "Doc" AC8AL

K0HB

September 22, 2011 - 10:16pm

Probably not a lot of Posts will have the inclination or space or funds to install a club station on premises, but it would be fun to have a scheduled net, perhaps every couple of weeks or so in the evening, maybe on 40M for good continental coverage.

Mid week, to avoid contest weekends, and up in the General portion of the band, and somewhere around 0230GMT so it's after the dinner hour in W6/W7.

Not much attendance here on this forum, so we'd need HQ (they have the email list) to publicize the idea and gather input for a group decision.

73, de Hans, K0HB
"Just a boy and his radio"

Richard K0RCJ

October 15, 2011 - 12:04pm

Good idea, Hans. Mic week, later in evening, not past about 8 or so CST.. Try 40, maybe have to move to 80?
Would like to have others email me with calls, areas, etc so we can yak with one another..I can even "do" digital of any sort..and will give McPherson county to whoever needs it..Or Kansas also..
Tnx
De Richard K0RCJ kn sk

WSloan

September 27, 2011 - 2:59pm

KC9ANG here -- Bill Sloan -- the club secretary of K9TAL. The American Legion has had a long history of involvement in amateur radio dating back to the earliest years of our history. What has been surprising and encouraging to us is that since we've announced plans for K9TAL we've had a huge response from Legion Family across the country asking "Where have YOU been? We've been active out of our posts for years!"

We look forward to sharing information about existing American Legion affiliated Amateur Radio programs and stations all over the country as we get set to turn the switches on in our new shack at the national headquarters.

Bill Sloan, KC9ANG
K9TAL Club Secretary
Indianapolis

W8DMZ

October 1, 2011 - 5:22pm

Hi Bill ...

You remark "...has had a long history of involvement in amateur radio dating back to earliest years..." prompts me to ask, please inform me and others about this history. Would be interested to hear it.

W8DMZ

WSloan

December 1, 2011 - 11:50am

We're working on an expansion of our website legion.org/hamradio to do just that! We're also interested in learning more about radio clubs in our Legion that have been doing work in the local community for many years. We'd like to expose these hams for the excellent role models they are.

Bill Sloan
KC9ANG
K9TAL Secretary

GDDuncan

September 22, 2011 - 3:33pm

I've been waiting for someone to suggest a when and what freq.

73 N8ERC

W8DMZ

October 1, 2011 - 5:24pm

Lets do it soon. Pick a date, time, freq and I'll be monitoring!

W8DMZ

N1MN

December 6, 2011 - 12:24pm

I just wanted to let anyone interested in getting their Radio Licenses know that around three times per year, I hold Technician classes and once or so hold General Classes at American Legion Post 264 in Mableton, GA.

Classes are generally listed on the ARRL web site as well as the Department and Detachment of Georgia Web sites.

For further information, I can be contacted at finance@galegion264.com.

Thanks and 73's.

ELDEN MORRIS, N1MN

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <p>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Refresh Type the characters you see in this picture.
Type the characters you see in the picture; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.  Switch to audio verification.