Leadership Education And Development is a new one-day, eight-hour training session designed to provide professional development training for post-, district-, county- and department-level members.
Subject matter experts will cover a wide range of topics relevant to the operations of The American Legion. All travel, any lesson plans, handouts and training materials will be provided at no expense to departments.
Departments are responsible for identifying and providing the training facility and audio visual equipment. Any combination of offered classes may be selected, making up eight hours of instruction. One classroom is needed for each eight-hour session. If a department desires a repeat of sessions or selects more than eight hours training, additional classrooms and equipment may be required.
If interested, contact Internal Affairs Assistant Director David Elmore (email@example.com) or Membership Deputy Director Matt Herndon (firstname.lastname@example.org), or call (317) 630-1330.
In other news:
- Operations Comfort Warriors: To date, more than $120,000 has been raised toward the $500,000 goal for 2012-13 set by National Commander Jim Koutz. Heroes to Hometowns has recently been consolidated into OCW by the authority of Resolution 12, passed by the NEC during its meetings in Indianapolis on Oct 17-18. OCW recently provided Amazon giftcards to wounded warriors in Washington, D.C., and patio furniture to the Warrior Transition Battalion at Fort Benning. OCW plans events at Fort Campbell, Fort Knox and Fort Jackson in the first quarter of 2013.
- DMS Program update: The 2013 membership year began on July 1, 2012. This report reflects responses being tracked for the new membership year. All of the 5.1 million pieces scheduled for the 1st 2013 DMS mailing were mailed as of July 3, 2012. Approximately 3.1 million additional pieces were mailed Sept. 21. Responses from that mailing are being processed now. Our next mailing is scheduled for Nov. 9.
- DMS Acquires: Prospects: 57,651; Expires: 34,178; TOTAL: 91,829
- 2013 Goal: 210,000; percentage of goal: 43.7 percent
- Current Renewal Rate for 2012 DMS Members – 33.6 percent (63,755 of 189,685 new 2012 members)
- The current 2013 traditional membership total is 1,376,212 which is 68 percent of the 2013 goal.
- On-Line Renewal Activity: 2013 Membership Year Online Renewals (since 7/1/12) – 120,050
- Child Welfare Foundation: The American Legion Child Welfare Foundation recently awarded $734,220 in grants for 2013 to 20 non-profit organizations to conduct projects to benefit children. Since its founding in 1954, the Child Welfare Foundation has awarded more than $12.5 million in grants.
- MLB honors American Legion champions: The 2012 American Legion Baseball World Series national championship team from New Orleans Post 125 was recognized by Major League Baseball on the field before Game 2 of the World Series. The team attended the first two games in San Francisco.
- National Emergency Fund: From Oct. 11-25, Internal Affairs received and processed 24 applications for assistance under the National Emergency Fund. Twenty-two applications came from Louisiana totaling $13,960, and two applications came from Mississippi totaling $400. All grants pertained to damage sustained from Hurricane Isaac. Any questions regarding the development of State NEF Coordinators, or the fund, can be directed to David W. Elmore at (317) 630-1376.
- Sons of The American Legion: The Sons of The American Legion membership for 2013 currently stands at 82,503 members or 23.4 percent on Oct. 25. At present, the Sons are running 3,165 members behind this same date last year. Membership for 2012 is 351,443 members (100.8 percent). Twenty-eight detachments have already achieved 100 percent membership for the 2012 membership year.