Good afternoon all,
I am with Post 223 in Sykesville, MD and have been trying to setup a
station/club at our post. I seem to be running into stumbling blocks
with getting a place in our post to even store equipment let alone
set up a permenant station. I keep hearing things like we dont have room
and we dont want you guys disrupting our hall rental etc. It is getting
to be annoying to say the least.

They dont realize that many or the Post 223 hams have ties to the local
county EOC as well as the Maryland state EOC through the state Army MARS group. Several of us also have CERT certifications. This same group provided the largest part of the radio operators at the state level during last months hurricane Irene and the following week for all of the flooding that ensued.

Anyone else encountered this kind of problem? Please drop me a line here.

thanks

Jim

GDDuncan

September 22, 2011 - 3:56pm

Maybe you and some of the other hams members could get together and make a presentation to the other members, if you haven't already. If you have done this and didn't get anywhere I don't know. I gave a brief presentation and suggested setting up a station as em-coms, it was approved by all with very little discussion... sometimes you just can't get non hams to understand how important the possibility of an em-comm station really is. Good luck in your efforts.

73 N8ERC

WSloan

September 27, 2011 - 4:30pm

Given the nature of The American Legion, composed of so many veterans with experience in highly stressful and challenging situations, many of whom are in fact CERT members or leaders of local public safety agencies and EMA, it came as no surprise to find quite a few club stations already operating out of American Legion posts. We have steered a few other posts to local hams and to the information posted on the FCC websites about obtaining a club license of their own to get more involved with supplying emergency communications in case of natural disaster.

We hope that K9TAL's existence might break down some of the barriers that exist and make it easier to establish ham radio programs in American Legion posts. In many places the local American Legion is already a valuable asset to the community in the face of natural disasters--to have a team of Legion Family ham radio operators with emergency communication skills would only enhance that asset.

KC9ANG

W8DMZ

October 4, 2011 - 8:26am

I believe if National were to require some sort of monthly Post report, from as many Posts as could be heard or relayed to National in Indy, on a specific freq(s), specific date, time, this could further jump-start our group.

With Veterans Day just over a month away...why not (again) "organize" those we have among us, and get'r done! Someone pic a freq(s), give me a date & time (EST/UTC), and I'll set my portable station up at Post 28, Grand Haven MI, and hear what I can. My email is: mapscenes@aol.com Lets do it y'all ... :-)

WSloan

November 10, 2011 - 10:51am

We just visited the basement radio room under construction, which the national headquarters building maintenance crew has made their priority over the last week or so. All the structural and material challenges in this 60-year old building have been overcome, the antenna lines and grounding connections are ready, telephone and computer lines have been installed, and all that remains is the carpeting on the walls and floor and installation of the operating tables, which should be accomplished today (November 10).

Add new comment

Filtered HTML

• Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <blockquote> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd> <p>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

Plain text

• No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Type the characters you see in this picture.
Type the characters you see in the picture; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.  Switch to audio verification.

Tell us what you think