Emil A. Blackmore Museum
The Emil A. Blackmore Museum of The American Legion is located on the fourth floor of National Headquarters in Indianapolis, between the library and the National Executive Committee Room. The museum occupies two rooms: one a display of military and Legion-related items and the other a fine-art gallery. Emil A. Blackmore, the museum's namesake, served as the Legion’s national adjutant from July 1, 1956, until his death on April 21, 1967. A virtual tour of the museum is available at www.legion.org/virtualtour.
The delegates at the Legion’s first convention empowered the National Executive Committee “to make suitable provision for the collection of war photographs, equipment and such other paraphernalia of war as would preserve our knowledge of the Great War for all time.” Today, the Emil A. Blackmore Museum honors this tradition by collecting and exhibiting artifacts associated with the history of The American Legion and the wars its members have fought. The museum is free of charge and open to the public weekdays from 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Museum Collections and Exhibits
Fine Art Gallery