Florida Legionnaires At Their Best
On March 13, 2012. American Legion Post 252 donated $10,000 to All Children’s Hospital (ACH). The Department of Florida donated $2,000. Now for the rest of the story. In 1926 Legion and Auxiliary members of Post 14 in St Pete’s along with civilian leaders decided there was a need for a children’s hospital for children with Polio and other disabling illnesses.
In 1927 their dream comes to fruition. The American Legion Hospital for Crippled Children opens its doors in St. Petersburg, Florida. In 1936 a second building opens, between 1950 and 1960 the hospital expands again. Adding a surgical unit and having a full time teacher to help the patients with their education.
Between 1961 and 1965 the community worked on further expansion to handle children with specific healthcare needs, as the crippling diseases of Polio are on the wane. By 1967 a new facilities opens its doors with 119 beds and a name change to All Children’s Hospital. The American Legion through out the Department of Florida have made on going donations to help care for our children.
By 2010 the ACH had expanded to a 250 bed facility with 10 floors for in house care and a 5 floor outpatient facility. This year our Department Commander Fletcher Williams 11 on behalf of the Department of Florida members made a monetary donation of $2,000 along with donating teddy bears for the children.
The American Legion still has a permanent life long seat on the Board of ACH. Bill Hoerner from Post 14 holds that seat currently.
Pictured from left to right are. Mike Addis, Fletcher Williams 11 Department Commander, Stephanie Hall from ACH, Board Member Bill Hoerner from Post 14, Ray Decker 16th Dist Vice Cmdr, and Post 14 Commander Jerry Meekins.
Submitted by Andrew W. Nagy. Department of Florida Legion Town Liaison.