Eight new Veterans Business Outreach Centers (VBOCs) funded by the U.S. Small Business Administration will join seven existing SBA centers to provide entrepreneurial development services to eligible military veterans and reservists who own or start small businesses. SBA is providing a total of $2.5 million in grants to the centers, continuing funding to the existing centers, and new funding for the new centers.
"Our service men and women have made invaluable contributions and sacrifices for our country and supporting them as they pursue their life's dreams to start or grow their own business is one of our highest priorities," SBA Administrator Karen Mills said in a statement. "Through these centers, we stand ready with a myriad of support, from entrepreneurial education and training to linking them with opportunities to compete for federal contracts and access much-needed capital - critical tools that will help them take their business to the next level, drive economic growth and create jobs."
Services provided by the VBOCs include outreach, assessment, long- and short-term business training, counseling, directed referring, electronic or online assistance and other technical assistance services to veterans, service-disabled veterans, and U.S. Military Reserve Component business owners and entrepreneurs.
Veterans Business Outreach Center locations include:
REGION I (Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire)
• Northeast Veterans Business Resource Center - Existing - Lawrence, Mass.REGION II (New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands)
• State University of New York SUNY at Farmingdale - Existing - Albany, N.Y.
• Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey - New - Newark, N.J.
REGION III (Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, District of Columbia)
• Old Dominion University - New - Norfolk, Va.
• University of Pennsylvania - New - Philadelphia
REGION IV (Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina)
• University of West Florida, Pensacola - Existing - Pensacola, Fla.• Fayetteville State University - New - Fayetteville, N.C.
REGION V (Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana)
• VetBiz Central - Existing - Flint, Mich.
REGION VI (Texas, New Mexico, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma)
• University of Texas - Pan American - Existing - Edinburg, Texas• New Mexico Department of Veterans' Services - New Santa Fe, N.M.• Southwest Louisiana Business Development Center - New Jennings, La.
REGION VII (Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska)
• Veterans Advocacy Foundation - Existing - Saint Louis
REGION VIII (Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado)
• Chippewa Cree Tribe - New - Box Elder, Mont.
REGION IX (California, Arizona, Guam, Hawaii, Nevada)
• Vietnam Veterans of California - Existing - Sacramento• University of Guam - New - Mangilao, Guam