The American Legion Riders aim to raise $450,000 for The American Legion Legacy Scholarship by the last day of the national convention in August.
Internal Affairs staff members have begun route planning and other preparations for the 2013 American Legion Legacy Run, the primary fundraiser for the scholarship fund. Registration is now open here . Online registration will continue until Aug. 9.
• Aug. 17 – Assembly and final registration, American Legion Post 64, Indianapolis.
• Aug. 18 - 22 - The American Legion Legacy Run (5 days)
• Aug. 22 - 24 – ALR activities and events hosted by American Legion Post 554, League City, Texas.
• Aug. 25 - The 95th Annual National Convention Parade
• Aug. 26 - 29 – The American Legion National Convention
The route plan is tentative, but will likely include the following stops and activities, pending consultations with the commanders of the departments of Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas and Texas. Staff and selected volunteers will conduct a "cage" run (by rental car) March 2-10 to confirm post visitations, refueling locations, and to negotiate hotel and lodging terms favorable to our participants.
Aug. 18 - Departure from Indianapolis, lunch in Illinois, and overnight stop in Missouri.
Aug. 19 - Morning ride and lunch in Missouri, crossing into Oklahoma for overnight stop.
Aug. 20 - Morning ride through Oklahoma into Texas, with overnight stop near Fort Worth.
Aug. 21 - Morning ride through Texas south to overnight stop near San Antonio.
Aug. 22 - Depart San Antonio for League City, Texas.
Total distance is expected to be 1,480 miles over five days.