The American Legion has always believed in the quality of care at VA medical centers. In spite of the scheduling scandals that broke in Phoenix and spread throughout the country, we still stand strong behind our mantra that it's a “System Worth Saving.”
As evidence of our dedication to VA, we put boots on the ground over the summer, producing a dozen Veterans Crisis Command Centers and Town Hall meetings in some of the areas hardest hit by the epidemic of VA mismanagement. The compassionate care delivered to frustrated veterans has helped pave the way for a new era of improved VA care.
The American Legion Response
In response to a national crisis, The American Legion went to work, community to community, face to face, one veteran at a time.
Two weeks after the VA Inspector General's Office substantiated claims that as many as 40 veterans in Arizona died waiting for medical appointments, The American Legion opened the first of 11 Veterans Crisis Command Centers and Town Hall Meetings in Phoenix.
This report shares the stories of each Veterans Crisis Command Center, where local Legion officials and national staff helped more than 3,000 veterans in both rural and urban areas. On-the-spot retroactive VA benefits amounted to nearly $1 million.
- Legion to set up veterans crisis center in Baltimore
- 'Broken promises, pain, mistreatment, delays'
- Legion veteran centers providing help, answers
- American Legion offers help for veterans
- In The Wake Of Fort Collins VA Scandal, American Legion Offers Help
- American Legion Steps In To Help Veterans In Need Of Health Care
- Veterans crisis center comes to St. Louis as American Legion takes on VA hospital wait times
- American Legion helps local veterans file claims
- VA secretary calls for town hall meetings
- Looming private health insurance deadline a challenge for troubled VA
- House approves $16.3-billion Veterans Affairs overhaul bill
- Audit reveals local VA Medical Center needs further review
- VA proposes to punish 6 healthcare workers in Wyoming and Colorado
- After 6 weeks, finally a deal on VA health care
- Deal reached on legislation to improve veterans health care
- Arizona delegation seeks probe of possible VA retaliation case
- Veterans share their experience at VA hospital during town hall meeting
- Local veterans react to VA hospitals scandal
- Atlanta VA hospital delivers substandard care
- Helping Veterans Maneuver the VA System: The American Legion Stages Outreach
- American Legion sets up shop to help vets amid VA scandal
- Audit examines VA appointment dates
- Some NH veterans spend months on VA waiting list
- American Legion Crisis Centers to assist in getting veterans health care