Shop Online at Emblem Sales
Google +LinkedInPinterestYouTubeInstagramTwitterFacebook
USAA is The American Legion's preferred provider of financial services. Offering a range of top-rated financial and insurance products and services. USAA welcomes honorably discharged U.S. military veterans, active-duty troops and qualified family members and descendants of those who have served. USAA contributes funds to American Legion programs when members join through a dedicated channel: or by calling toll-free at 1-877-699-2654.

Financial Questions & Answers

Financial Questions & Answers


My brother – retired military – just passed away from a fatal accident. His wife is in nursing recovering from a massive stroke. He has a Thrift Savings Plan; we need funds to pay for his wife’s care. Can I withdraw from the account as her POA? – Robert


We are extremely sorry to hear about this tragedy. The first thing you need to do on behalf of your sister-in-law is make sure the Thrift Savings Plan is informed of his passing. Since the account is in his name this is a necessary first step. His employing agency or military service will help you take care of this. If he is separated from federal service, you can contact the TSP at (877) 968-3778. There will be paperwork to complete to transfer the account to his beneficiary, which is likely your sister-in-law. Once that is complete, you should, as her power of attorney (POA), be able to access the account funds on her behalf. This link for the TSP booklet explains more regarding powers of attorney.