You've earned the right to a higher education through your service in the U.S. Armed Forces. But how do you use your GI Bill benefits? Which version is right for you? The Legion can help answer questions about state and/or federal education benefits, who can use them, and how long.

State Education Benefits

« Back to State Education Benefits



Illinois Veterans Grant:
The Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG) Program pays tuition and certain fees at all Illinois state-supported colleges, universities and community colleges for Illinois residents.
Eligibility: An individual must be an honorably discharged veteran and reside in Illinois six months before entering the service, and have at least one full year of active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Illinois National Guard Scholarship:
Any enlisted person, lieutenant or captain with at least one year service in the Illinois Army/Air National Guard may participate. Available for eight  semesters or twelve quarters of full-time or part-time undergraduate study or graduate study at any Illinois state-supported university or community college. Recipient is entitled to payment of tuition and certain fees. Applications and information on the scholarship may be obtained from the Illinois Student Assistance Commission, 1755 Lake Cook Road, Deerfield, Illinois, 60015. Web site address:

Illinois National Guard Tuition Assistance:
Full college tuition covered at any Illinois state-supported college or university for up to 4 years, for either full-time or part-time studies - undergraduate through Ph.D. level.
Eligibility: Illinois National Guard members.

llinois Department of Veterans' Affairs
833 South Spring Street
P.O. Box 19432
Springfield, IL 62794-9432
Phone: (217) 782-7838
Fax: (207) 524-8394