You've earned the right to a higher education through your service in the U.S. Armed Forces. But how do you use your GI Bill benefits? Which version is right for you? The Legion can help answer questions about state and/or federal education benefits, who can use them, and how long.

Questions & Answers

« Back to Education Questions & Answers

I am a Navy veteran and was discharged in November 1989. I reside in the state of Montana, and am wondering what educational benefits I may be entitled to receive when I enroll in college?

Unfortunately, with the GI Bill, you have 10 years from the date you were discharged to receive your veterans educational benefit, unless you have a disability. However, Montana-resident veterans are eligible for full tuition waivers at state-funded colleges and universities. Montana is not the only state that offers free or discounted education to veterans. To inquire about what benefits your state offers, go to

Thursday, November 3, 2011 - 2:51pm