You've earned the right to a higher education through your service in the U.S. Armed Forces. But how do you use your GI Bill benefits? Which version is right for you? The Legion can help answer questions about state and/or federal education benefits, who can use them, and how long.

Questions & Answers

« Back to Education Questions & Answers

I heard about the Fry Scholarship for children whose parents died on active duty after 9/11. What are the criteria?

Children of U.S. military personnel who have died in the line of duty on or after Sept. 11, 2001, can apply for a scholarship similar to the new Post-9/11 GI Bill. Benefits are retroactive to Aug. 1, 2009. Administered by VA, the scholarship is named for Marine Gunnery Sgt. John David Fry, 28, a Texan who died while disarming an explosive in Iraq in 2006. He is survived by three young children. "The Fry Scholarship represents this nation's solemn commitment to care for children whose mothers and fathers paid the ultimate price for our country," Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric K. Shinseki said. VA began accepting applications for the Fry Scholarship on May 1.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 - 2:51pm