You've earned the right to a higher education through your service in the U.S. Armed Forces. But how do you use your GI Bill benefits? Which version is right for you? The Legion can help answer questions about state and/or federal education benefits, who can use them, and how long.

Questions & Answers

« Back to Education Questions & Answers

I am currently on active duty and will be retiring in December. I have a son who is 16 and a daughter who is 14. How do I transfer my benefits to them? And since I am not sure what institution(s) they will attend, is it possible to transfer my benefits af

Since you are still in the military, use the Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) Web site to designate, modify and revoke a Transfer of Entitlement (TOE) request. After leaving the military, you may provide a future effective date for use of the TOE, modify the number of months transferred, or revoke entitlement transferred by submitting a written request to the Department of Veterans Affairs. After separating from the military, you cannot designate new dependents to receive transferred entitlement, or amend the effective date of the initial transfer of entitlement to an earlier date.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 - 2:53pm