You've earned the right to a higher education through your service in the U.S. Armed Forces. But how do you use your GI Bill benefits? Which version is right for you? The Legion can help answer questions about state and/or federal education benefits, who can use them, and how long.

Questions & Answers

« Back to Education Questions & Answers

I have a disability and was wondering if my 18-year-old daughter is eligible to receive education benefits.

The Dependents' Educational Assistance Program, Chapter 35, provides education benefits for the spouse and dependent children of a veteran or servicemember who is determined to be permanently and totally disabled from service-connected causes, is on active duty and likely to be discharged with a permanent and total disability, died in service, died of service-connected causes, or is currently missing in action or captured in the line of duty. This benefit may be used for the pursuit of an undergraduate or graduate degree, courses leading to a certificate or diploma from business, technical or vocational schools, apprenticeships and on-the-job training programs. Benefits for correspondence courses are available to spouses only. The program provides up to 45 months of education or training.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 - 2:54pm