You've earned the right to a higher education through your service in the U.S. Armed Forces. But how do you use your GI Bill benefits? Which version is right for you? The Legion can help answer questions about state and/or federal education benefits, who can use them, and how long.

Questions & Answers

« Back to Education Questions & Answers

I am a retired Army reservist who transferred my GI Bill benefits to my daughter. I did two years of active-duty time after 9/11, plus a tour in Iraq. I also served on active duty during Vietnam, and after getting out in 1972, I used the GI Bill available at the time. VA told me that I can use only one GI Bill in a lifetime and that I’m entitled to only three months under the new one, completing a maximum entitlement of 48 months. Is VA correct, or is this a decision I can appeal?

Unfortunately, the law states that a veteran may receive a maximum of 48 months of full-time entitlement. So if you transferred your GI Bill benefits to your daughter and have used 45 months of entitlement, then she would receive only three months of education benefits.

Monday, February 27, 2012 - 9:56am