You've earned the right to a higher education through your service in the U.S. Armed Forces. But how do you use your GI Bill benefits? Which version is right for you? The Legion can help answer questions about state and/or federal education benefits, who can use them, and how long.

Questions & Answers

« Back to Education Questions & Answers

I just left service. How should I prepare to use my GI Bill benefits?

Veterans can take a few important steps to prepare to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

1. Identify a major or degree plan you plan to pursue. Time-consuming indecision can be costly because the Post 9/11 GI Bill can only be used for 36 months.

2. Carefully choose the right college or university that offers the major or degree plan you wish to pursue.

3. Make sure the institution is approved to receive your GI Bill benefits. Not all are. This information can usually be found in the school catalog or by contacting the registrar’s office.

4. Once your major or degree choice is made, and a college is selected, you should complete an application for education benefits, which can be found at on the Web. VA will then send you a certificate of eligibility.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 2:35pm