Shop Online at Emblem Sales
Google +LinkedInPinterestYouTubeInstagramTwitterFacebook

Veteran Services: Education Questions


You've earned the right to a higher education through your service in the U.S. Armed Forces. But how do you use your GI Bill benefits? Which version is right for you? The Legion can help answer questions about state and/or federal education benefits, who can use them, and how long.

Questions & Answers

« Back to Education Questions & Answers

How do I use VA education benefits while I am training to become a police officer or another profession with on-the-job training?

If you are a veteran, National Guard member, selected reservist or dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible to receive a monthly education benefits check from VA. On-the-Job/Apprenticeship training (OJT) is training you receive while actually performing a job and earning wages. If you decide not to attend college, you may still receive your VA benefits through your employer. OJT is wonderful for employers, as well, who may receive VA compensation for training a superior employee.

  • Contact VA at (888) 442-4551 to determine if you are eligible to receive OJT benefits and to receive the necessary paperwork to get started.
  • Next, have your employer contact your nearest State Approving Agency so that the necessary steps can be taken to approve the training program. Keep in mind that not all occupations can be approved.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 3:32pm