You've earned the right to a higher education through your service in the U.S. Armed Forces. But how do you use your GI Bill benefits? Which version is right for you? The Legion can help answer questions about state and/or federal education benefits, who can use them, and how long.

Questions & Answers

« Back to Education Questions & Answers

I am a 100-percent unemployable veteran who has retired from the Navy. I served on active duty from July 1981 until August 2005, which makes me fully eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill. VA turned me down for vocational rehabilitation prior to my rating be

There are a few issues we need to look at before giving up on the vocational rehabilitation program. If you have an injury that was sustained while you were in the military, it is vital that you get a qualified representative, like an American Legion service officer, to help you with your case. Application for vocational rehabilitation can often take a great deal of time. Many documents need to be completed, and if you have any medical records to accompany the documents, that would really help your case.

To find an American Legion service officer to help you fill out an application and gather the right documents, visit on the Web.

In order to be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, you must have an honorable discharge from active duty and at least 30 continuous days of service after Sept. 10, 2001. Being turned down at one point in your application for vocational rehabilitation benefits does not disqualify you from the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009 - 3:39pm