You're working, and you've got a family that depends on you - both now and down the road. Where do you invest your money? Do you borrow against the equity in your house? Through a preferred provider relationship with USAA, The American Legion can provide expert financial advice to just about any question.

Questions & Answers

« Back to Finance Questions & Answers


We are 18 years into a our second marriage and might have a need for a QTIP trust. Can you give us more information about it? Thanks. -HC & Lee


A Qualified Terminable Interest Property (QTIP) trust can be used in a situation like yours. Basically, income from assets that are placed in this trust at the death of the first spouse is utilized to take care of the surviving spouse while the deceased spouse controls how the trust is distributed once the surviving spouse passes away. This could be a strategy used to protect the inheritance of children from a previous relationship. It’s actually a relatively complex estate planning technique. So if you’re contemplating a QTIP, it’s probably an excellent time to enlist the help of a qualified estate planning attorney.