Shop Online at Emblem Sales
Google +LinkedInPinterestYouTubeInstagramTwitterFacebook

Veteran Services: Finance Questions


You're working, and you've got a family that depends on you - both now and down the road. Where do you invest your money? Do you borrow against the equity in your house? Through a preferred provider relationship with USAA, The American Legion can provide expert financial advice to just about any question.

Questions & Answers

« Back to Finance Questions & Answers

Financial Questions & Answers


Is the Roth TSP available to inactive veterans? -Richard


While only those that are currently serving in the uniformed or civil service will be able to contribute to the new Roth TSP, a Roth IRA may be an option for others. The Roth version of an IRA or TSP are noteworthy because they offer the potential for tax-free withdrawals of contributions and earnings in retirement. Contributions of up to a full $5,000 ($6,000 if age 50 or over) to a Roth IRA can be made as long as you or your spouse have earned income equivalent to the total of your contribution, and you don’t exceed the income limit of $110,000 ($173,000 married filing jointly). There’s also an option to convert traditional IRAs or 401(k) plans to a Roth IRA. That’s a whole new subject, but certainly another option to make Roth a part of your plan.