Shop Online at Emblem Sales
Google +LinkedInPinterestYouTubeInstagramTwitterFacebook

Veteran Services: Finance Questions


You're working, and you've got a family that depends on you - both now and down the road. Where do you invest your money? Do you borrow against the equity in your house? Through a preferred provider relationship with USAA, The American Legion can provide expert financial advice to just about any question.

Questions & Answers

« Back to Finance Questions & Answers

Financial Questions & Answers


Can I file for my ex wife’s social security benefits even though we have been divorced for many years? We are both in are 70’s. We both were teachers in New Mexico. I retired early she retired FRA. We would like to increase my benefits. – Joseph


You may be able to apply for spousal benefits based on her work record, but we doubt that you’d actually increase your monthly benefit. If you were married for at least 10 years, check with the folks at Social Security. Generally, the spousal benefit would be equivalent to 50 percent of the worker’s benefit. However, in your case since you began benefits before your full retirement age (FRA) your spousal benefit would be less than 50 percent of hers. It doesn’t hurt to check, but it’s probably not going to help you out. Good luck.