The American Legion has added a special one-month challenge to its second annual 100 Miles for Hope. During the month of July, American Legion Family members can support their departments in the 100 Miles for Hope Breakout Challenge.
The breakout challenge is simple: each department in The American Legion has been placed in a category of similar-sized departments (see below for details). Whichever department in each category raises the most donations during July wins bragging rights and a plaque.
All funds raised as part of this breakout challenge go directly to the organization's Veterans & Children's Foundation (V&CF). Share this with your friends and family, stay active, contribute to this important charity and visit The American Legion’s Emblem Sales website to purchase commemorative 100 Miles for Hope gear with proceeds going to benefit V&CF.
Learn more about The American Legion’s 100 Miles for Hope
This event is open to the public. We encourage you to invite your friends, family and colleagues to join you in your pursuit to support The American Legion as you keep each other motivated to be healthy and active.
How to participate:
1) Visit the Kilter website at https://www.kilterrewards.com, register and pay the $20 entry fee (all proceeds go to V&CF).
2) Download the FREE Kilter app
3) Choose Sign In (top right)
4) Go to the Events tab > My Events (you're already registered!)
5) Complete your profile and connect your devices. Don’t forget to set a goal!
6) Share! Tell everyone you’ve ever met that you’re participating in this event by posting to social media and sending e-mail. Download and customize a special cheer card available at this link. Here's how:
• Open the PDF and click on the blue box in the open area.
• Type in the name of your department.
• Save and print the PDF, and take a photo to share on social media. Don’t forget to use #100MilesforHope in your post.
Or you can also print the PDF and write in the name of your department.
By raising funds in the 100 Miles for Hope Breakout Challenge you are supporting your American Legion department. Each department has been assigned into a category with similar-sized departments. The department that raises the most money during July will receive bragging rights and a special plaque. Now go out, raise money, support the V&CF and help your department claim victory!
Category 1 - CA, FL, NY, PA
Category 2 - IL, IN, MN, OH
Category 3 - IA, MD, MI, TX, VA, WI
Category 4 - AZ, GA, MA, MO, NE, NJ, NC, WA
Category 5 - AL, AR, CO, CT, KS, KY, LA, ME, MS, MN, NH, ND, OK, OR, SC, SD, TB, WV
Category 6 - AK, DE, DC, HI, ID, NV, NM, RI, UT, VE, WY, France, Puerto Rico, Philippines & Mexico
HOW TO FUNDRAISE!
1. Set a goal! Setting a fitness goal is important, but equally important is making sure you have a fundraising goal to achieve. It should be exciting and aspirational.
2. Kickstart Your Campaign! Did you know that people who kickstart their fundraising with a self-donation raise about eight times more than those who don’t? Show everyone how committed to America’s veterans and military families by making a donation toward your own goal. Go to the Charities tab of the event in the app and click "Donate." Choose any amount you want to contribute! You can also donate to the V&CF by clicking here!
3. Email! Email! Email! The number one way to get friends and family to know about your fundraiser is to email them! Yes, people still check their email. We suggest sending three to five emails during the duration of your campaign with updates, sharing your story and shout-outs to donors. Click GET DONATIONS from the event in the app to get started!
4. Get (and stay) Social! With the Kilter App it’s incredibly easy to share your campaign with your social media followers. Regular updates on your progress will go a long way in getting people invested in your progress. It’s also a great way to thank donors by tagging them in a post. Whether you're using Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other social media platforms, with the click of a button you can share your campaign with hundreds of people. Click GET DONATIONS from the event in the app to get started!
HOW TO TRACK ACTIVITIES
1) Connected Apps and Devices. Visit your Profile and go to Connected Devices. Use Apple Health, Fitbit, Garmin, Strava, or UnderArmour Record (MapMyRun) to seamlessly track your daily activities! This is the easiest way to keep track of your activities and earn points.
2) Manually Record Activities. Don’t have access to the apps mentioned above? No problem! Click the (+) icon from your dashboard to open the Manual Entry form. Enter your activity of 30 minutes or more within 48 hours of completing the activity to earn points. See here for more info.
3) Check into Gyms and Fitness Studios. Click the (+) icon from your dashboard to open the gym check in function. When you're within a 400-foot radius of a gym, you'll be able to check in! If the gym is not there, click the Add Gym button and send us your gym name and address. It will be added within 48 hours. *Note: Do not go to your gym or studio if it is unsafe to do so.https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/index.html
THANK YOU FOR JOINING THIS EVENT. GOOD LUCK!