Last updated: August 8, 2015
Our Commitment to Privacy
Active Information Collected
In order to provide the services related to American Legion Baseball, we must collect certain private and personally identifiable information. “Personally Identifiable Information” refers to information that tells us specifically who a player or coach is, such as names, phone numbers, email, postal addresses, social security numbers, credit card information, and possibly information relating to support or service issues. In many cases, we need this information to help ensure the health and safety of our baseball players and provide the services that you have requested.
How Do We Use the Information Collected?
Sharing Information with Advertisers or Other Third Parties
We may share the Personally Identifiable Information we collect about you through your participation in The American Legion Baseball program with others in the ways described below:
- The American Legion Baseball Personnel: Our personnel and authorized consultants and/or contractors may have access to personal information, including Personally Identifiable Information, if necessary in the normal course of business.
- Service Providers: We may sometimes use other businesses to perform certain services for us, such as maintaining our mailing lists, processing insurance orders and financial transactions, sending postal mail, and providing marketing assistance and data analysis. We may provide Personally Identifiable Information to those businesses when that information is necessary for them to complete a requested transaction or otherwise perform their duties. The American Legion will take reasonable steps to ensure that these third party service providers are obligated to protect Personally Identifiable Information on The American Legion’s behalf.
- Business Transfers: In some cases, we may choose to buy or sell assets. In these types of transactions, player information is typically one of the business assets that is transferred. Moreover, if The American Legion, or substantially all of its assets, were acquired, player information would be one of the assets that may be transferred.
- Financial Institutions: We may make Personally Identifiable Information that you provide us available to one or more financial institutions, to fulfill and carry out the purchase of insurance or the payment of fees. By providing us your Personally Identifiable Information, you authorize us to exchange your Personally Identifiable Information with such financial institutions.
- Medical Providers: We may make Personally Identifiable Information that you provide us available to medical providers in order to help ensure injured or sick players receive appropriate treatment in emergency situations.
- Baseball Partners: As a condition to your participation in The American Legion Baseball program, you consent and agree that we may share certain personal information or Personally Identifiable Information you have provided to The American Legion, or scouting or baseball information collected about you as a result of your participation in The American Legion Baseball program, to help enhance The American Legion Baseball experience or to provide additional opportunities for The American Legion Baseball players to play baseball outside of The American Legion Baseball program (our “Baseball Partners”). Our Baseball Partners may be outside companies involved with amateur baseball, and may also be college recruiting scouts, coaches, and other scouting services. For example, we share the names, addresses, contact information, and rosters of players and coaches, and baseball statistics and player scouting information on The American Legion Baseball players with our Baseball Partner, Baseball Factory, Inc., to help facilitate recruiting of The American Legion baseball players to play college baseball, or to Diamond Baseball Co., Inc. to provide scholarships and awards to The American Legion Baseball players. (More information about the Baseball Factory and Diamond Baseball and their respective privacy policies are available at http://www.baseballfactory.com/privacypolicy.asp and http://www.diamond-sports.com/Webpages/Privacy-Policy.html). We may also share with our Baseball Partners: (1) mailing list information, including information about The American Legion Baseball players and coaches, including personal information and Personally Identifiable Information including their names, addresses, ages, high school graduation years, phone numbers, and email addresses; and (2) baseball information, including scouting information, recruiting information, and other information regarding players and coaches on-field and off-field baseball activities. As a further condition to your participation in The American Legion Baseball program, you consent and agree that we may share certain personal information and Personally Identifiable Information about you to outside scouting services and programs, which information may be publicly displayed at our website, and on the website of our Baseball Partner providing these services. If at any time you do not want The American Legion Baseball to share your information (e.g., email address or home address) with other companies and/or organizations for this purpose, please let us know by emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please state in your correspondence that you no longer would like to be included in the Baseball Partners program.
- With Your Consent: Except as noted above, we will contact you when your personal information is shared with third parties or used for a purpose incompatible with the purpose(s) for which it was originally collected, and you will be able to opt out to prevent the sharing of this information.
Data Security, Integrity, and Access
We secure your personal information submitted by you by using reasonable efforts to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, or accidental loss or destruction of Personally Identifiable Information. Communications that you may have with us via email or U.S. Mail may not be secure unless we advise you that security measures are in place prior to your sending information. Therefore, if you choose to communicate with us through these means, you are assuming the risk of doing so and we request that you do not send or post sensitive information through these means.
You can ask us to access, update, or delete information that you have provided us by sending us an email at email@example.com. We may require proof of your identity before we provide this information and we reserve the right to refuse to provide you with a copy of your personal data under reasonable circumstances, but will give reasons for our refusal. You should understand that we must require certain information to provide our services and the deletion of certain data could result in the removal of a player from The American Legion Baseball program.