Ask a Service Officer

Q. Will my benefits stop if I don’t file an annual report?

A. The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) no longer requires you to complete an annual Eligibility Verification Report (EVR) form to maintain your benefits. Even though VA is no longer sending an EVR form, you are still responsible for notifying VA of annual changes in earnings, medical expenses and dependents.

Earning changes to report on VA form 21-4138:

  • Interest or dividend payments from stocks, bonds or savings;
  • Retirement pension payments or other retirement income;
  • Inherited money or property;
  • Rental income;
  • Income changes; and
  • State or federal benefits.

Medical expense changes to report on VA form 21P-8416:

  • Increase or decrease in out-of-pocket unreimbursed medical expenses,. These include doctor visits, pharmacy co-pays and medical insurance premiums.

Dependent changes to report on VA form 21-686c:

  • If you and your spouse divorce or separate;
  • If you get married;
  • If you lose a dependent;
  • If your spouse gets a job or loses a job;
  • If your spouse has changes in medical bills;
  • If your child is between age 18 to 23 and gets married or is no longer in school;
  • If you conceive or adopt a child.

Locate all three VA forms here:

Do you have a claims question? Email it to: