I am a U.S. Army veteran residing in the state of Texas. I have heard about the Hazlewood Act and was wondering if you have any details about the program.

The Hazlewood Act exempts qualified veterans, spouses and children of certain disabled or deceased veterans from specific tuition and fee charges at public institutions of higher education in the state of Texas. The exemption is for a maximum of 150 credit hours and may be awarded regardless of financial need. An eligible veteran must have been a resident of Texas at enlistment and must provide official military documentation to prove eligibility for the exemption. Veterans must serve more than 180 days of active-duty service, excluding training, and discharge must be characterized as "honorable" or "general, under honorable conditions." Veterans or dependents must provide proof of eligibility or ineligibility for VA education benefits. Verification may be obtained by calling the VA Education Call Center toll-free at (888) 442-4551. For more information about the Hazlewood Act and education benefits for Texas veterans, call toll-free (800) 252-VETS (8387).