I retired from the Army in December 2008. While I was outprocessing, I was advised by the education counselor to choose Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, since I might be able to transfer them to my dependents. My daughter graduated from high school and is attending a community college. I tried to transfer my education benefits to her, but was told by VA that she did not qualify since I retired before August 2009. Had I known, I would have stayed active for another eight months. Is there any exception to this rule?

Any member of the armed forces (active duty or Selected Reserve, officer or enlisted) on or after Aug. 1, 2009, who is eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and has at least six years of service and agrees to serve four additional years, or has at least 10 years of service, may transfer benefits to their dependents. However, transfer requests must be submitted and approved while on active duty. If you do not meet the criteria, you are unable to transfer your benefits. As of now, there have been no exceptions.
However, there are several organizations that offer scholarships, such as the Military Child Education Coalition and Our Military Kids.