I just left service. How should I prepare to use my GI Bill benefits?

Veterans can take a few important steps to prepare to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

1. Identify a major or degree plan you plan to pursue. Time-consuming indecision can be costly because the Post 9/11 GI Bill can only be used for 36 months.

2. Carefully choose the right college or university that offers the major or degree plan you wish to pursue.

3. Make sure the institution is approved to receive your GI Bill benefits. Not all are. This information can usually be found in the school catalog or by contacting the registrar’s office.

4. Once your major or degree choice is made, and a college is selected, you should complete an application for education benefits, which can be found at www.gibill.va.gov on the Web. VA will then send you a certificate of eligibility.