How do I transfer my educational benefits to my spouse or children?

During the debate to pass the new GI Bill, Congress realized there needed to be an incentive for servicemembers to stay on active duty and to extend their commitments rather than leave the military and head straight to college. So part of the new GI bill is offers education benefits to a spouse if the servicemember serves, or commits to serve, for at least 10 years.

That transferability is available once a service member has served six years and has re-enlisted for at least four more. Spouses will have 15 years to use the benefits.

A servicemember who wants to transfer the benefit to a child must serve at least 10 years. The child will have until the age of 26 to use the benefit. The benefit can be divided between a spouse and children, with limits on the number of months that can be transferred.