Madison County, Virginia has most of their war memorials in one location, The County Courthouse Square. Thus, the Courthouse square is one big memorial for those from Madison County who died serving their country. The separate elements are: The Fallen Warriors Monument is a four sided, granite obelisk recognizing U.S. service members from Madison County who were KIA or died of wounds, sickness, accidents, etc. during WWI, WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, and Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Confederate Veterans Monument recognizes CSA service members from Madison County who lost their lives during the Civil War. The inscription on the monument reads: Confederate Dead Plant the Fair Column over the Vacant Grave A Hero's Honors Let a Hero Have. The granite monument came by train to Orange and was brought to Madison from Orange by wagon teams. The War Memorial Building was dedicated November 15, 1935, on the 17th anniversary of the signing of the armistice of WWI. William A. Smith, Federal Emergency Relief Administration (E.R.A.) Administrator, presented the building to the citizens of Madison County. The total cost of the structure to the county was approximately $11,500. The E.R.A. was created in 1932 by President Hoover under the Federal Emergency Relief Act to create jobs by giving loans to state and local governments. The E.R.A. was replaced in December 1935 by the Federal Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.). The building currently houses a courtroom, the offices for 3 agents of the Virginia Extension Service, and a conference room facility that is available to Madison County citizens and organizations. Date of Installation: The Fallen Warriors Monument: In the spring of 1990, LTC. Richard Walrond presented the proposal for the Fallen Warriors Monument and a committee was appointed to proceed with the project. The Monument was dedicated on Memorial Day, May27, 1991, with R. Admiral Eugene S. Ince., Jr, (USN Ret.) and General Robert W. Porter, Jr. (USA Ret.) as speakers. Colonel Edward D. Meares (USA Ret.) read the roll call of names on the Monument. The Confederate Veterans Monument The cornerstone for the monument was laid September 19, 1900 by Linn Banks Lodge #126, A.F.& A.M. The monument was unveiled and presented to Madison County on October 31, 1901, by United Confederate Veterans. The War Memorial Building was dedicated November 15, 1935, on the 17th anniversary of the signing of the armistice of WWI. William A. Smith, Federal Emergency Relief Administration (E.R.A.) Administrator, presented the building to the citizens of Madison County.
Date of Installation:
October 31, 1901
Organization Responsible for Installation:
Linn Banks Lodge #126, A.F.& A.M; Federal Emergency Relief Administration (E.R.A.); American legion Post 157; VFW Post 9865
Memorial War Era(s):
Fallen Warriors Monument, Confederate Veterans Monument, and War Memorial Building are located at 1 Main Street in the Town of Madison, VA. This area is also called Courthouse Square.
Published on May 16, 2017