The Bryan County Courthouse was built in 1917 located at 3rd and Evergreen in Durant, Oklahoma. That same year, this Civil War memorial was placed by the Julia Jackson Chapter No. 564 of the U.D.C. (United Daughters of the Confederacy). The statue is over twelve feet tall and stands on a series of stone bases, with inscription on the side of the pillar. At the top is a statue of a Confederate soldier in uniform, standing with his musket. Beneath the statue are the years "61 - 65", and at the base the words "Lest We Forget". The inscription reads: Erected in honor of our gallant Confederate Soldiers by Julia Jackson Charter U.D.C. No. 564 A.D. 1917
Date of Installation:
January 1, 1917
Organization Responsible for Installation:
Julia Jackson Chapter No. 564 of the U.D.C. (United Daughters of the Confederacy).
Memorial War Era(s):
In front of the Bryan County Courthouse corner of 3rd and Evergreen Durant, Oklahoma
Published on January 21, 2019