Confederate  Civil War Monument, Columbus, Mississippi

Confederate Civil War Monument, Columbus, Mississippi

The monument consists of a central structure in the form of a domed temple with three uniformed Confederates soldiers. One of the soldiers is standing on the top of the dome and is holding a flag. The other two soldiers are standing on each side of the temple with each holding a rifle at their sides. The monument is inscribed: Front: Our Heroes This Monument Is Erected In Honor Of The Soldiers Of Lowndes County Who Nobly Dared Life And Fortune In Defense Of The Southern Confederacy Back: A Tribute Of Love To Our Honored Dead; Whose Memory We Enshrine In Our Hearts Whose Principles Of Right Through All Generations Stephen D. Lee Chapter, No. 34 U.D.C. 1912 Front under dome: C.S.A. 1861 1865 Confederate memorial on the grounds of the Lowndes County Courthouse in Columbus, Mississippi. N 33° 29.794 W 088° 25.696 16S E 367324 N 3707251 Erected August 9, 1912, by Stephen D. Lee Chapter, No. 34 United Daughters of the Confederacy.

 

Date of Installation:

August 9, 1912

Organization Responsible for Installation:

Stephen D. Lee Chapter, No. 34 United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Memorial War Era(s):

Other

Location:

Confederate memorial on the grounds of the Lowndes County Courthouse in Columbus, Mississippi. N 33° 29.794 W 088° 25.696 16S E 367324 N 3707251

Photo Gallery:

Confederate  Civil War Monument, Columbus, Mississippi

Confederate  Civil War Monument, Columbus, Mississippi

Confederate  Civil War Monument, Columbus, Mississippi

 

Published on February 14, 2019