Veterans Memorial Bridge, Coalgate, Oklahoma has a long history starting back being built in 1910 across Muddy Boggy Creek near the Pine Community in Northern Coal County, Oklahoma. The bridge served for 65 years and withstood many floods, loads of cotton and other loads for many years. In 1975 the bridge was replaced by a new concrete bridge and set beside the road for 10 years not knowing its future until former county commissioner, Harry Farris, decided to use the bridge 12 miles south east of Pine near the Lone Star Community across the Salt Creek. The bridge stood for the next 13 years serving the community. The county commissioner, John Ward, and others decided the bridge would serve the citizens of the county as a pedestrian bridge at the 45th Infantry Division Memorial Park as a lasting memory of the Veterans of Coal County. The bridge was named the Veterans Memorial Bridge to honor the past and future veterans for young and old to view. This Veterans Memorial Bridge was made possible by those in the community who made donations to fund the memorial. There are 3 lag poles in the 45th Infantry Division Park.
Date of Installation:
April 21, 2000
Organization Responsible for Installation:
Those in the community who made donations to fund the Memorial
Memorial War Era(s):
1400 S. Broadway Highway 75 South Coalgate, Oklahoma
Published on October 19, 2020