A poured concrete monument with a lighted flagpole accompanied by a bronze plaque featuring the names of the 113 World War II veterans from Horning, five of whom died in the service of the nation. Refurbished in 2014 as part of an Eagle Scout project. Horning was founded in 1903 as a residence for coal miners of the Pittsburgh Terminal Railroad & Coal Company #4 Mine. It was a racially mixed community, which was rare for the era. The mine closed in 1939.
Date of Installation:
November 11, 1946
Organization Responsible for Installation:
Citizens of Horning Community
Memorial War Era(s):
5460 Horning Road, Baldwin Borough, PA 15236 40 Degrees 20’ 15” North 79 Degrees 59’ 31” West Horning Community is a neighborhood located in Baldwin Borough, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
Published on April 26, 2022