Granite mausoleum and monument to Brevet Major Augustus Plummer Davis (5/10/1835 - 5/21/1899), founder of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War. During the war, he served in the 11th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment. After the war, he moved to Pittsburgh and pursued a career as an insurance executive. He was active in Post 3 of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR). On Nov. 12, 1881, he organized the first camp of Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, now known as Davis * Camp (Davis * Star Camp). Originally a military training program for young men to serve as a reserve force in time of war, over time it became the legal successor of the GAR. Its purpose today is to honor the memory of those who fought to preserve the nation.
Date of Installation:
September 12, 2021
Organization Responsible for Installation:
Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
Memorial War Era(s):
Allegheny Cemetery, 4734 Butler St., Pittsburgh, PA 15201 Section 28, Plot 35. Near the Penn Avenue entrance. 40 Degrees 28’0” North 79 Degrees 46’ 52” West The mausoleum was renovated in 2021 by the Davis * Camp of the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.
Published on May 29, 2022