How did the Legion get back in 1990 a trophy it had given out for its national choral competition?
The group gave it back. Off and on from 1941 to 1978, the Legion held a choral competition during the national convention – much like the band and color guard contests held today – in association with the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP). The “National Chorus Champions” for many of those years were the Singing Legionnaires of Post 15 in Sioux Falls, S.D. In 1965 in Portland, Ore., the trophy was presented to the Post 15 group for their consecutive appearances. But in 1990 they donated it back to the Legion,where it sits today in the fourth-floor library at National Headquarters in Indianapolis.
The Singing Legionnaires formed in 1946 and won their first Legion title in 1949. According to current president Milt Hanson, the group is still active, performing at 20-25 events each year, including lots of churches and patriotic events. Learn more about them here.