The purpose of the National American Legion Press Association shall be to foster publications and advance the standards and practices of communication within all levels of The American Legion Family.
In 1922 then National Adjutant Lemuel Bolles, appointed William Richie, Jr., an Omaha, Neb., lawyer, as chairman of a special committee to consider the organization of a National American Legion Press Association. The following year NALPA was established with 20 department and local publications forming the initial membership.
NALPA was established to facilitate communications, from the national organization to the post level, within The American Legion. Through a network of active members, NALPA fulfills its mission by encouraging idea exchanges among members; promoting the development of local communications; advancing training through information dissemination; enhancing professional development; promoting the Legion’s goals; and acting as a voice of the association’s membership.
In 1925 NALPA expanded membership eligibility to publication staff members, Department and Post Historians and professional newspapermen interested in Legion publicity.
Today, more than 1,000 members of NALPA are involved in local communications initiatives with a central purpose: to keep members up-to-date on local organizational happenings. Members of NALPA believe that local newsletters and other efforts are essential to a growing membership program.